cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 540s Trim support

schoi11
New Contributor

Hi, I want to know how Intel 540s SATA ssd (120GB) support TRIM command.

When TRIM command is sent from OS does SSD implement TRIM as soon as possible? or at idle time?

I saw that in nvme SSD, TRIM is implemented before GC command but I want to know if SATA 3.1 version Intel 540s also same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello ithdli,

Thanks for posting in our forum, we understand you have some questions about TRIM and we'll be more than glad to explain to you.When the TRIM command is sent from the operating system it will try to find the "best moment" to perform the task, meaning that it will run it when the SSD is being less used or idle.This does not mean that you cannot use the SSD if it is in the process, you can use and the function will be running in the background, just like the garbage collection. These two (TRIM and Garbage collection) go together somehow.Please let us know if you have any other question.Regards,Nestor C

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello ithdli,

Thanks for posting in our forum, we understand you have some questions about TRIM and we'll be more than glad to explain to you.When the TRIM command is sent from the operating system it will try to find the "best moment" to perform the task, meaning that it will run it when the SSD is being less used or idle.This does not mean that you cannot use the SSD if it is in the process, you can use and the function will be running in the background, just like the garbage collection. These two (TRIM and Garbage collection) go together somehow.Please let us know if you have any other question.Regards,Nestor C

schoi11
New Contributor

Hi Nestor C.

Thank you for response!

Actually I have more question.

1. Is it guaranteed that TRIM precedes GC?

2. Is that all same for SATA SSD and NVMe SSD like P3600?

I really appreciate with your comment! Thanks!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi ithdli,

Based on the two questions you have, the answer for both is yes. Please let us know if you have any other question.Regards,Nestor C

Hi Nestor C,

Thank you for response .

I'll ask again if I get new question. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Soyee Choi