cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 660P nvme ssd 500Gb Latest driver Causes drive to disappear

bigjon2929
New Contributor

i have installed the latest driver for intel 660P series nvme SSD and right after reboot nvme SSD does not show up in windows or disk management or in file explorer but shows up in bios but when i uninstall driver nvme ssd shows up again 

Dell precision t5820 

Lga 2066 CPU

Boot NVME SSD is a samsung 970 EVO Plus

Amd Rx6600XT Gpu 

Asus Hyper M.s X16  Gen 4 Card (PCIE 4.0/3.0)

intel 660P NVME SSD In Asus Card 

7 REPLIES 7

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

If this system doesn't have an M.2 slot, you may not have BIOS support for NVMe drives and thus will not be able to ever boot from this drive. In this case, you will have to have a SATA drive to boot from.

It is a moot point but understand that Windows 10 has NVMe support built in and you do not need to install an NVMe driver. Having a driver doesn't help you with the lack of support for reading from the drive from within the BIOS.

...S

I have windows 11 installed on a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512GB nvme ssd with a pcie adapter and it boots fine every time no problem and the main reason I was trying to update the driver on the Intel 660P nvme ssd was a issue with slow speed from the drive it's no were near it's limit of writes I did finally get the driver installed now I have the same speed issues when writing my Ubisoft library to the drive and some games won't load right and I even have raid turned off in bios and the bios does support pcie nvme booting

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, bigjon2929.

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the logs and information you provided us, please review the following data:

1- Your BIOS mode seems to be in legacy mode, and it will be a good idea to check what the OEM Dell* recommended settings are to increase the PC performance, for example, the AHCI BIOS mode may be a better option if available.

For more information about the BIOS settings, contact Dell*.

Please consider that modifying your BIOS settings may cause problems booting your OS. We recommend backing up your information before processing any BIOS or hardware modifications.

2- The usage of the Asus* Hyper M.s X16 Gen 4 Card (PCIe 4.0/3.0) may be the cause of the performance issue since another hardware installed in the middle of the board, and the SSD can cause a bottleneck and reduce the performance of all the SSDs connected to it.

3- Due to the usage of the adapter card, the Intel® driver may not be able to read or write to the SSD at the same speed as when the drive is connected directly to the board, to test this, you may need to plug the drive into another system that has the M.2 port available

4- The usage of 3rd party adapters is not supported, validated, or recommended by Intel® since it may cause unknown issues, like the performance situation you are experiencing.

Based on your previous answers:

I'm still having issues getting pc to update the driver now I lost some speed, but for what I use the drive for it doesn't matter a lot it's a game drive. 

I have windows 11 installed on a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512GB nvme SSD with a PCIe adapter and it boots fine every time no problem the main reason I was trying to update the driver on the Intel 660P nvme SSD was an issue with slow speed from the drive it's no were near its limit of writes I did finally get the driver installed now I have the same speed issues when writing my Ubisoft library to the drive and some games won't load right and I even have raid turned off in bios and the bios do support PCIe nvme booting.

We are glad to hear that you were able to install the drivers. If you experience any unexpected issue with the new drivers, please try the inbox drivers that came with the OS or consult with ASUS* if they have any recommended drivers to use with his Hyper M.s X16 Gen 4 Card.

We will not close this thread, and you can still post and share your findings with the community. If you need assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us by opening a new thread, and please submit a new question. We will no longer monitor this thread.

We hope fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.

Best regards,

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.