cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 670p OEM Hardware Encryption

AdamG5
New Contributor

I had read in a tomshardware review  that the 670p supports hardware encryption so I decided it would be a good option for an inexpensive SSD.  In my HP laptop I've made sure that the option "Allow OPAL Hard Drive SID Authentication" is selected but when I run the command:

sudo sedutil-cli --scan

The output I'm receiving is:

Scanning for Opal compliant disks
/dev/nvme0 No  INTEL SSDPEKNU010TZ  002C

I'm assuming I've received some kind of OEM model as the one from the article is:

SSDPEKNU010TZX1

Is there something I'm missing or will my new SSD not support hardware encryption?

3 REPLIES 3

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, AdamG5.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support; related to your Intel® SSD 670p Series. If we inferred correctly, please, review the following information:

1- Based on https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/204109/intel-ssd-670p-series-1-0tb-m-2-80mm-pci...

The Intel® SSD 670p Series (1.0TB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D4, QLC) Retail Box Single Pack, Ordering Code SSDPEKNU010TZX1, has the Hardware Encryption AES 256 bit

2- We advise you to visit and review the What Type of Encryption Do Intel® SSDs Use? Article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000036098/memory-and-storage.html

Intel® SSDs use AES-XTS-256 as an encryption method.

If the Intel® SSD does not have a configured security interface (such as TCG Opal) the encryption function of the device does not provide confidentiality of user data. Under these conditions, the encryption engine in the device behaves more as a data scrambler. Without a configured security interface, data written to the device can be retrieved by anyone with access to the device. A security interface must be activated in order to provide data confidentiality on the SSD.

If you desire to set a drive password, please contact your computer manufacturer, as this may vary by vendor. In some cases, a password can be set in BIOS and other cases in software. Note that the manufacturer instructions may require additional steps to configure the security interface properly. So be sure to follow all recommended steps.

3- To get a list of Intel® SSDs that support OPAL*; We advise you to visit the Which Intel® Solid State Drives (Intel® SSD) Models Support Opal 2.0*? article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030541/memory-and-storage.html

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 8th of March 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, AdamG5.

Greetings from the Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to Intel® SSD 670p Series. We would like to know if you need further assistance.

We will follow up with you again on Thursday, the 10th of March 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, AdamG5.

Greetings from the Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to Intel® SSD 670p Series.

Since we have not heard from you in a while, we are going to close this community thread.

If you need further assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread. We will no longer monitor this thread.

Best regards,

Jos B.