cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The intel toolbox can't run optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a x25-v ssd and installed it with win7. I have installed the toolbox but it can't run optimizer. Does anybody know it?

66 REPLIES 66

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

LOE, that sounds weird, that the Toolbox worked and then stopped on the same system, but you did do a fresh OS install (not on the SSD, correct?) so that may have caused you to get different drivers, meaning default ones versus ones you installed previously.

Also, another thing that likely happened is, a software package that the Toolbox needs is no longer there due to the fresh install. That would be .NET Framework 2.0, which is supposed to be included with Windows, but during an install of the Toolbox on my Windows 7 PC, it was installed at that time by the Toolbox installer, as if it was not there. You can check if it is installed just by checking the Programs and Applications option in Control Panel.

When you check what drivers you have, the subtle point that people forget is you must check the driver of the SATA controller, not the HDD or SSD driver. In Device Manager, find IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, and then see what driver you have for your SATA chipset. Let us know what driver you find. Also, if you check Storage Controller in Device Manager, you'll find other interface controllers, including the Marvell chips, if your mother board uses it.

I've also seen an SSD I own listed as a SCSI drive, when it is connected to my mother boards Marvell 9128 SATA controller. In your case that's probably not what your SSD is connected to, but I think that is due to which driver is installed now. You didn't mention if you set your SATA controller to AHCI mode in the BIOS or not, which can determine which driver is loaded. A million things to remember, I know, so much for plug-n-play. We have come full circle in some areas with PCs, in the old days you had to configure everything manually and we are somewhat back to that now with SSDs. That's because they are still somewhat foreign to OS's, which have yet to be designed with them in mind.

What do you mean you're not sure if you're "running as an SSD now"? I don't understand.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the information. The driver for the SATA controller was the problem (see my reply above, as I couldn't edit my post). Somewhere in my apps installations, prob the NVIDIA graphics card install, my SATA controller on motherboard was changed. Now everything including Toolkit is working OK.

Thanks again for your help!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you too, and my pleasure. As I was typing my reply to your questions, you posted your solution, and then I posted mine, so just coincidental timing, how often does that happen?

It's possible that during your latest OS installation, the driver you had was replaced by a Win 7 one, although I may be off on the timing again. Regardless, and given your idea about what happened, clearly the NVIDIA SATA driver was changed.

For our future reference, I'd like to know exactly what your mother board, etc, configuration is, if you don't mind. Your mother board supports an AMD CPU, and uses an NVIDIA chip for the SATA controller. If you can post the make and model number I can look it up. Regarding the driver, you may be using the Win 7 AHCI driver, called "msahci". You could verify that with Device Manager, or tell us what did get installed.

If you could let me know this info, we could have it in our casual database of platforms that the Toolbox should function on. If you could do this I would appreciate it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The model is HP a6720y, motherboard is M2N78-LA (Violet).

The driver now loaded is Microsoft "standard ACHI driver " 6.1.7600.16385 .

You have a AMD Mother board ,Not Intel , so I don't think you can use the tool box , as far as the AHCI driver get from Microsoft.