cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The intel toolbox can't run optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a x25-v ssd and installed it with win7. I have installed the toolbox but it can't run optimizer. Does anybody know it?

66 REPLIES 66

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I would think so too. Now remember I do have a 250 vertex that can not run wiper.exe (thier program that forces the trim command), on this same Asus M4AGTDPRO-USB3 so in that sense Intel is not alone and certainly OCZ does not have an axe to grind either way - they want their stuff to run on all platforms. Now wiper does run if I switch to IDE mode. I believe I also ran it on a Marvell Sata III port on a Gigabyte machine without having to switch to IDE - can't remember all the details, but I did not have the Intel 160 at that time so that I never tried.

And also consider that the toolbox optimizer 1.3 does run without a hitch in full AHCI Sata 6 mode on this board without having to change anything in the BIOS.

It seems there is a lot of stuff coming out now with regard to these SATA III chipsets.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

mangel, that is interesting about the OCZ SSD on your ASUS AMD mother board. So wiper works in IDE mode, but not AHCI... that seems kinda weird. I'm not familiar with the AMD chipsets, does that run at SATA 6Gb/s in IDE mode? Or AHCI, or both, or is IDE in SATA 3Gb/s mode? The latest Intel Toolbox will not run on the Marvell 9128 interface with their latest driver update, at least on my ASUS/Intel mother board in SATA 6Gb/s and AHCI mode. Never tried it in IDE mode, hmmm...

BTW, how do you like the AMD SATA 6Gb/s interface, does it work well and can you tell the difference in speed? Is that the AMD 'SB850' chipset? I'm not familiar with them at all, so I'm curious. Here's a link to an article about SATA 6Gb/s interfaces, including the Marvell 9128, the AMD SB850 chip, and the Intel SATA 3Gb/s chip:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/10/28/are-on-board-sata-6gbps-ports-fast-enough/1 http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/10/28/are-on-board-sata-6gbps-ports-fast-enough/1

Not knowing why these things don't work can lead one to all sorts of theories about it. While the Intel 1.3 Toolbox works with the AMD chipset, did it stop working in 2.0.0, or just 2.0.1 version? I would be surprised if the Toolbox was purposefully coded to not work on the AMD platforms, and if the OCZ tool works on both, it makes you wonder. But we can't come to any conclusions since we really don't know what is happening in the code and all the protocols and interface layers between the chipsets, I'm sure it all goes on and on. For all we know, it was supposed to work, and that is doesn't was a surprise.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes I can actually attach the drive to port 5-6 which have to run in legacy mode in order for DVD drive to work and wiper works there as well.

I don't believe any of them run a 6 gb/s in anything but AHCI.

The Marrvell chipset i tried was on a Gigabyte board I can try and figure out the model as it is in my garage somewhere. And give you more details

Yes I absolutely love the Sata 6gb/s. I can do an acronis clone of a 2tb drive filled to slightly over half with data in about 2:15 sata6>sata6 and/or 2:30 sata6>usb3 in all these cases using a Seagate 6gb/s drive. This difference was not important enough to warrant keeping an extra permanent drive inside the machine making more noise and using more power so I ended up just keeping the one drive in that I use for data (along with the Intel X25-M 160 for OS) and whenever I need to do a backup I just plug in the USB3 drive and eliminate the extra noise except during backups. I do have to say in addition that this has always been my preferred method of backup (Acronis clone) for my data drive and either of the above are way faster than anything I ever got through sata3gb/s>sata3gb/s.

I have to check out your link haven't had time yet.

Yes it is the 890GX with the SB850 chipset on the south bridge.

Ref the toolbox the 2.0.0 never worked nor the 2.0.1 worked in 6gb/s mode at any time in terms of the optimizer. The 1.3 always works/ed and really I don't think the people coding this stuff are doing anything intentional in any of these organizations. Probably its just a case of too much stuff coming out durning too short of a time period for everyone to get it right at first try. I expect some of this will be ironed out - but it is also likely that some will not.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok guys! I got good info that might help us all...

Few weeks ago i had a DX58SO and this board got bad!

I have been running a INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC or just like we know it a X-25M 80gb.

Yesterday i got a brand new motherboard, a EVGA with same chipset, x58 and just pluggled my SSD into it... got windows 7 running after few reboots.

I ran the tool and it DID WORK just fine !!! No problem at all!!! The tool was the 2.00

It was running in a SATA3 port in AHCI mode.

This morning i updated the intel ssd firmware, reinstalled my windows 7 and installed the new tool 2.01.

Guess what?! It did NOT work anymore! I got the same msg you guys got.

Uninstalled the 2.01, installed 2.00 and no success, still cant run the optimizer.

So... whats going on?!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know why that would happen with that chipset - could any other program be blocking it? - unlikely.

You could try the old 1.3 toolbox. In the end it does the same thing which is to send the trim command. I can't find a link but someone on this board may have a link to it.