cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do/will the upcoming Intel RST drivers support Trim?

DZand
Contributor III

@ Intel support:

It is a fact, that the Intel Matrix Storage Manager AHCI and RAID drivers do not support Trim.

So users with an Intel chipset mainboard and 1 or more Intel X25-M G2 SSD's, who had successfully flashed the Trim Firmware and now want to get benefit of the automatic Trim action while working, have to use the Win7 in-box generic MS IDE or MS AHCI drivers.

Since several weeks there are new and already WHQL certified Intel AHCI/RAID drivers v9.5.0.1037 available at Station-Drivers. They belong to the upcoming new generation of Intel storage devices support named "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" (RST).

Here are my questions:

1. Do these new RST drivers v9.5.0.1037 already pass the Trim command?

2. If not, will the upcoming official release of Intels RST drivers support Trim?

3. If not, when can we expect Intel AHCI and RAID drivers, which do fully pass the Trim command?

I did already ask similar questions within another thread, but I didn't yet get an answer. That is why I started a new thread.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

fsutil is a file system utility. Therefore its DisableDeleteNotify tells you whether the file system is configured to send the trim command to the storage stack. You could disable this support. It doesn't tell you what happens to the command after that. In older OSes the DisableDeleteNotify setting won't exist because there is no trim support.

I'm not aware of anything that tells if the entire stack, file system to disk, is supporting trim.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There is a software tool/gadget currently available that can capture a set of SSD TRIM-related metrics: google/bing "SSD TRIM metrics".