cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 600p incompatibility with Windows 10 version 1803.

KChou9
New Contributor II

I have ACER VX 15 shipped with 256GB Intel SSD 600p series. After updating my system to Windows 10 version 1803 it is constantly crashing. Microsoft has confirmed that few Intel SSDs are not compatible with the update and Intel has confirmed that its Intel SSD 600p and pro-6000 models are having this issue. I just want to know the status regarding this issue from Intel. When the patch will be available for Intel 600p SSD ?

Sources:

1. http://www.legitreviews.com/windows-10-april-update-blocked-on-small-number-of-intel-ssds-due-to-iss... Windows 10 April Update Blocked On Small Number of Intel SSDs Due To Issues - Legit Reviews
  2. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-update-intel-ssd,37020.html Windows 10's April Update Crashes Systems With Intel SSDs (Updated)
52 REPLIES 52

CCowl2
New Contributor

I have spent hours with HP support and Microsoft support trying to install Windows 10 version 1803 on my Spectre x360. This computer was upgraded to a 1Tb Intel SSDPEKKW010T7 SSD. The installation process seems to proceed normally and appears to be complete, or nearly complete, when I receive a message that the installation failed due to incompatible hardware. I have tried the suggestions on this forum without success. Is this drive part of the known issue with this Windows update?

MH1
New Contributor

I have an Intel 600p 512gb SSD with the latest firmware (PSF121C) and using Windows 10 1803. Issue is still not resolved. Every time I restart my computer I get a blue screen, then it restarts again and works until I restart again. Supposedly the "Fix" is now baked into the 1803 update so you don't have to use the standalone installer (kb4100403) but I tried it anyway and it says it's not compatible with my hardware.

This has been going on for months. My choices are deal with constant restarts on 1803 or revert back to 1703 and not have the latest updates. I won't be touching any Intel components on my next build and I'll encourage everyone I know to stay away from them as well. Ridiculous.

JWake2
New Contributor

Hi All,

Hoping to be enlightened by this community - as I don't think MS or Lenovo will help me that much with my problem.

The back story is that I have a Lenovo T470s laptop with a 256GB Intel SSD (model SSDPEKKF256G7L, serial # BPTY71360YGU256D, firmware PSF118 OPAL). running Win 10 Pro.

Everything was working perfectly on Monday morning, when a Windows message popped up saying it needed to restart to complete an update, which I went ahead with. On restart, it's almost like the SSD has disappeared completely. The laptop sits there for about 10 minutes, fan running furiously, then I get an error "2100 Detection error on hdd0". Despite these painful delays, I can still (eventually) interrupt the normal boot and jump into Bios and the Lenovo diagnostic tools (which report all ok, but there is no storage check selection when there should be - ie. it isn't seeing the SSD). Bios reports 'NVMe' in the boot sequence and I can shuffle it around, although things like 'USB CD", "USB FD" also appear so I wonder if NVMe is just a standard option and the bios hasn't actually gone and found the SSD. When the laptop was working properly, the first option in the boot order was "Windows boot manager" and that's no longer there. Lenovo support had me resetting bios to defaults using legacy support instead of UEFI, and non-OS optimized defaults; none of it made any difference, so they've now sent me a recovery USB stick that has the factory OS image on it, and running it (assuming it will even detect the SSD) will obviously blow away the existing OS and my apps and files. Whilst this isn't the end of the world for me, I want to ensure I've exhausted all possibilities for recovering the existing OS installation.

If I boot from a generic Windows 10 recovery USB stick, it doesn't see any existing Windows installation (ie. can't see the SSD) when trying to repair an existing install. Dropping to a command prompt, DISKPART reports 'No media' and 0 size for Disk 0, which is weird - the SSD controller doesn't see the flash memory? I tried bootrec /fixmbr without any change as well. Has Windows killed the MBR or partition table, or is it something more fundamental here - even the possibility that the SSD has simply failed coincidentally?

I'm a bit of an older dog, and don't really understand UEFI, or if it is part of the issue here. All I see is that the SSD has more or less vanished because of a Windows 10 update, which is known have issues with Intel 6000p SSDs (I didn't find out until after my laptop was bricked). Now I do have a desktop with a NVMe M.2 slot on the motherboard, so I could transfer the SSD to it to see if I can further diagnose it and/or fix it, but am not sure how to go about that and what tools I should be using. Should I try updating the firmware on the SSD too?

I don't have much to lose here except a handful of non-critical files, and the laptop / SSD are both under warranty so it will be fixed one way or another at no cost to me. But I would like to first convince myself that I've got no chance of recovering the existing OS partition, and as all this mess was in all likelihood created by the Windows update, I thought that the problem is software related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.