cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 540s M.2 SSD Toolbox Reports Diagnostic Error

RKeni
New Contributor

My Intel SSD 540s M.2 hard drive will not pass the "Read Scan" on the diagnostic scan in the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox v3.5.2. The computer has some strange issues going on in the last couple of weeks or so so I started investigating hardware issues. If I open Windows Explorer and type something in the search box the computer may or may not keep functioning. When the system fails (after about a minute) the computer will say that the Intel 540s drive "D" drive is no longer accessible and the system becomes unstable. Now my system is a little different. The machine, an Intel NUC6i7KYK, is built with a smaller 500GB Samsung 950Pro NVMe drive for "C" drive and the Windows installation, and a second SSD, my Intel 540S 1TB drive is "D" drive and the "Users" directory is moved there. The Intel drive has all my data stored on it and the Samsung (high speed drive) runs the system. This configuration was done as windows was installed via a sysprep XML file and Audit mode and has worked perfectly for some time (about 2 years). The Intel drive toolbox showed the firmware for my 540S drive was old (LSBG100), so I used Firmware Update Tool v3.0.1 to update the firmware (LSF042C). The update was successful and the machine seems to work OK but the Toolbox Quick Diagnostic Scan fails the read scan with "Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance." The Data Integrity test passes 100%. I haven't done the full diagnostic test. I don't know if this is a driver issue or not but my drivers were the latest drivers from the Intel support site but I have now switched "Device Installation Settings" from blocking Microsoft from updating drivers to now allowing Microsoft to update the drivers. So I don't know if they've been adjusted through Windows update. This is a scary issue when 900GB of your PC data suddenly fails (I have a backup).

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Qboy61,

Thanks for posting in our communities. We understand that you're concerned about the status of your Intel® SSD 540s Series.In order to better assist you, please provide us with the drive's S.M.A.R.T. details report. Open Intel® SSD Toolbox and click on "Export". This will generate a .csv file, please attach it your next reply (the attach button is located at the bottom right of the reply box).Additionally, please run a full diagnostics as well and let us know the results. This might take a while since the drive is almost at full capacity.Best regards,Eugenio F.

RKeni
New Contributor

OK, I would send the SMART export but The web page only has buttons for picture and video insertion.

Just a heads up. Today running the SSD Toolbox (which I ran about 3-4 times when I posted the first message) now says "Read Scan" passed. I've been away from the computer since Thursday April 12th and the machine has been idle since. I do not know if Microsoft has updated the drivers since I previously ran this test. I will let you know if the machine goes unstable again.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Qboy61,

Thanks for your reply. It is good to know the Read Scan passed this time.

As for the attachments, you can add different format files other than pictures and videos. Here's how the attachment button looks like:

Best regards,

Eugenio F.

RKeni
New Contributor

"Attach" is not visible in my screen.