cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

TBeuk
New Contributor II

As a guess, it might be related to using UEFI instead of standard bios interface in the newer system/OS. Intel support might already have a solution for that, I recommend contact them at the link in one of my posts above, they were extremely helpful to me. In my case my computer (a Thinkpad T40) was just too old to work with the 530 properly at the BIOS level during reboots, but the previous generation 525 did work fine. I'd recommend trying a 525 if you have one and see if it can solve the problem if other avenues don't pan out on your particular board/bios.

IZ2
New Contributor

I have a Zotac computer (ZBOX EI730+) with the latest bios (BIOS 4.6.5 07/23/2014) on which I decided to replace the internal slow HD with an Intel SSD 530 (SSDSC2BW240A4). AFAICT I have the latest firmware (DC32 according to hdparm).

Symptoms: at boot I get "No Bootable Device Detected! Please reboot and check.", and in the BIOS no SSD appears (all 3 SATA and the mSATA are undetected).

I found a workaround though: I'm using an USB key (with a live linux) which I unplug about 1s after the boot beep. It then doesn't load the boot loader from the USB key but the one on the SSD, and I can boot normally. It's very clumsy and it would be nice to have a better solution. Zotac redirected me to this thread.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Ivanz,

As was mentioned in previous posts for this forum, the Intel® SSD 530 Series has advanced power management features to work in PC's with this type of requirements. Some previous generation PC's may not support the technology used in this hard drive.

The issue you describe is different from the one other users have, since you mention that none of the other drives are detected at POST, this may indicate an underlying issue in other component of the PC. We advise you to check with http://www.zotac.com/support/contact-support.html Zotac Support if they have a firmware/BIOS update for your computer, or if they are aware of any compatibility issues between you PC and this model of drive.

If the actions mentioned by other users in this thread do not resolve the issue, or in case you require additional information, please contact your nearest http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Support Center to engage a support agent and obtain the support you require.

IZ2
New Contributor

The issue you describe is different from the one other users have, since you mention that none of the other drives are detected at POST, this may indicate an underlying issue in other component of the PC.

No, the other drives are detected pretty fine. When saying "all 3 SATA and the mSATA are undetected" I meant that the SSD is detected on none of the slots (I unplugged the original HD, so of course).

We advise you to check with http://www.zotac.com/support/contact-support.html Zotac Support if they have a firmware/BIOS update for your computer, or if they are aware of any compatibility issues between you PC and this model of drive.

As mentioned in my post, it's what I did. I upgraded the BIOS and contacted Zotac. To which they replied:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for emailing Zotac.

The "intel 530" series SSD (2.5" form factor) is unfortunately so extra-ordinary that, most (if not all) of our ZBOX are suffering from detection issues with this series of SSDs.

Most of the time, this SSD is not detected during POST, and cannot be used in the subsequent operation of the mini PC.

See the following link to internet forums, complaining on this intel SSD --->

/thread/44258?start=30&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44258?start=30&tstart=0

/thread/44258?start=0&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/44258?start=0&tstart=0

Due to this unusual behaviour of the intel 530 series SSD, this is not a good idea to use this SSD on a typical / normal PC, since there are plenty of other choices out there.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

hello ivanz,

We are sorry to learn that but it seems to be compatibility issue and it us up to the computer manufacture to check the compatibility issue as the Intel® SSD 530 Series obeys the most recent standards. As mentioned before by jonathan_intel, it may be a good idea to contact your nearest Intel Contact Center to see if our technicians can help you resolve this issue on our best effort.