cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello tjb,

Did try to use the SSD in a different computer to see if the same thing happens?

Which tool did you use to check for updates? You may try the Intel® SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool found in this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18363/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Firmware-Update-Tool Intel® Download Center

We recommend that you contact you nearest Intel Contact Center for further troubleshooting. Please access this link: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support

TBeuk
New Contributor II

Hi Aleki,

The same problem happens in two different computers with two different OS (Linux and Win7). Once exiting the OS, the computer gets to its restart screen, but freezes up before running the bootloader... it is like it can't access the SSD MBR to run the bootloader. In earlier posts on this thread the identical symptom was reported by others and it still doesn't appear to be corrected in latest firmware.

I used Intel SSD toolbox and it said I have the latest firmware (DC33). The firmware update program you sent just crashed on boot with an illegal instruction on my machine... it is an IBM Thinkpad T40 with Dothan 2GHz CPU, it looks like the firmware updater is trying to load a linux distribution which is not configured to run on this older platform (though my Linux distribution runs on it just fine). I use a mSATA to IDE adapter in the main HD drive bay to boot from. Note when the SSD does boot after first powerup it runs just fine and is very fast and stable, no issues at all with file corruption etc.

Search index : Intel 530 SSD boot hang reboot hang boot freeze lockup

Thanks for your pointers to the support sites, I will pursue that avenue.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello tjb,

Please check your private messages.

TBeuk
New Contributor II

Hi Aleki

Thanks for the PM. To anyone reading this subthread, the 530 SSD has a new advanced power saving feature which is

incompatible with older BIOSes and will cause this reboot lockup (maybe the DEVSLEEP function on the new

B02 Sandforce controller used in 530?). Apparently this feature can't be turned off through firmware or configuration in

any way, so the drive just goes to sleep after rebooting and can't be re-awoken except by a power cycle. I will follow

up on seeing if I can exchange the drive if possible.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

We're running into the same issue at my office. We have several small systems with the ASRock Q1900B-ITX board. Latest SSD firmware, latest board BIOS. After a Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 installation, the drive is not detected. Windows 7 seems to be fine, for whatever reason.