cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

LLudi
New Contributor

As of right now I would return it and look into some different devices. It sucks that this thread has been going now for a couple of months with no word. Hopefully well get some intel from Intel.

fli14
New Contributor

I have the same problem with Lenovo Yoga 2 11.

The 530 I have is 180G, with DC32 firmware on it. Originally it was used on a HP desktop running Windows 7 pro as the sytem drive. I have no problem with it at all.

But when I tried to install it on a Lenovo Yoga 2 11 to replace the original seagate 500G, it just doesn't like Windows 8.1.

In the BIOS, the SSD can be recognized.

I can clean install windows 8 on it and after all the updates (not 8.1), it ran flawlessly.

But it doesn't like window 8.1. Here is the method I tried:

First. method: I cloned the Seagate HDD to SSD, using several different software. The results are the same: clone successfully, partititions are all correct, and I can boot the yoga up. But it will give me a BSOD in a few minutes, some "critical_process_died" error, and upon reboot, it will say "no bootable device find, hit any key". I have to hit the power button to shut it down and restart, and it will boot up again, then a few more minutes later after boot into the windows, BSOD again. sometime I can get 20 minutes out of it, sometime it won't even fully boot up.

Second method: do a clean install of windows 8. x64 Everything works, just works, no issue at all. But when trying to upgrade to 8.1, get "Coulnd't upgrade to window 8.1........0xC1900101 - 0x20017" error, and rolled back to window 8.

Third method: clean install 8.1 x64. The setup won't even find the SSD, asking to load device drivers.

rside
New Contributor

I had a similar boot issue.

my initial configuration was:

• Dell Optiplex 7020
  • i7 CPU
  • OS drive – intel 530 240Gb ssd
  • Data drive – intel 530 240Gb ssd

The data drive would only appear after a shutdown. If I reboot, the data drive is not there. It was all the time. Reboot 10 times, never a 2nd SSD drive. shutdown 10 times, it was always there. Drove me nuts!

I have changed my configuration to:

• OS drive – intel 530 240Gb ssd
  • Data drive – Crucial 240Gb SSD

All works fine after replacing the 2nd intel SSD with a crucial ssd.

I think the Intel 530SSD has an issue with i7 cpus

CMcCu1
New Contributor

I suspect your theory about I7 processors is correct. I have an MSI Eclipse SLI motherboard and an Intel I7 920 (2.67 GHZ). I tried using the intel ssd 530 series (model number ssdsc2bw180a4) with this motherboard and CPU combo, and I continued to have start-up issues. After a day or two, the system wouldn't recognize the SSD or would fail to boot from it. Unplugging the SSD from the SATA port on the motherboard and replugging it into another SATA port: the drive would work for another several days before it wouldn't boot again. It's driven me crazy. Since my motherboard was five years old and MSI said the board was never tested with SSD, I decided to rebuild with a new mobo and CPU. If the drive still gives me fits, it's back to Intel with you!

TBeuk
New Contributor II

I recently bought a 530 SSD and it shows the same issues mentioned in the thread, it locks the computer up

on re-boot and requires full power-off to unfreeze it. This is a major functionality issue and a major annoyance

in multiboot systems... does anyone know if there has been any resolution? I got the SSD tools and it says

I have latest firmware, but I see messages going back to 2013 about 530 bugs. My SSD is a mSATA 240Gb.

It also would not work in a mSATA to SATA adapter card I have (but it does work in a motherboard mSATA slot

and an mSATA to IDE adapter also). Every other mSATA drive I have, including another Intel, an OCZ nocti,

and a micron all work fine in both adapters with no freezeup issue, the 530 is the only one with the problems.