cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same problem with a new spare part from Lenovo (in a Thinkpad X220): Intel SSD Pro 1500 series 180 GB, firmware version LADi.

A soft reboot fails, no disk drive is present. Workaround: cold reboot (power cycle).

I used Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox v.3.2.1, but it contains no new firmware.

Question: Is there a forthcoming firmware update for the Intel SSD Pro 1500 series also?

DReic1
New Contributor

I updated the firmware on my Intel 530 180 GB SSD yesterday - hoping the problem was solved like many other have reported since the firmware release. However this evening the drive failed to boot and a black screen appears stating:

Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE v1.3.81PXE 2.1 Build 0971 (WFM2.0)

Drive 0 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-0

Alert! Failed to Detect one or more Drives during Post.

Intel Boot Agent GE v1.3.81

Copyright (c) 1997-2011, Intel Corporation

Client Mac ADDR: .........

GUID: ........

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

No boot device available

Strike F1 to retry boot,F2 for Setup utility

Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics

I am not sure what initiates the failure - possibly the Dell OptiPlex 780 power option settings that puts the computer to sleep, controls the hard drive, the computer sleep or hibernation settings - I'm not sure but very disappointed since the firmware upgrade did not fix my computer randomly shutting down and not recognizing my expensive new drive, Please help before I return this drive.

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Thanks for all the input.

I will contact everyone who is still having issues via Private Message to gather some detailed configuration information so we can work on your issues.

Once we have more information on the remaining issues I will post updates to this thread.

FYI,

Bought 3 530s from TigerDirect Because they were so cheap. Installed the first one in my HP 4540s. Same issues. I wish I checked online first but tried to troubleshoot for 4 hours on my own first thinking it was my new drive and/or the laptop. Flashed the BIOS on that HP to go from F41 to F43. Same issue, warm boot problem. I even used Gparted boot disc to clean out the drive completely )removed all partitions) and reinstalled Windows 7. Still flaky. Since I have 3 530s, I was going to swap for another and see what happens. We also have a bunch of HP 4540s so I was going to go through the tedious process of elimination until I remembered to update the firmware on the SSD..... yeah, shame on me for not thinking about that first. Then again, all 3 530s were manufactured in November 2013 so I didn't think there would be a firmware update for it. Came across this thread and happy to know I am not crazy. Flashed to latest firmware release on 12/20/2013 and everything is well now, consistently. I freaked out first because when I flashed the firmware on the SSD, it rebooted and had the same symptom (missing drive). Powered it down and turned it back on, no problem! I shutdown, rebooted, cold booted, warm booted this thing over 30 times now and all is well.

For those who still have issues AFTER the firmware update, I would double-check that the firmware was actually updated. Don't assume it did. Update your laptop BIOS too, that could help.

Hi ken-Intel!

I have a ASUS Z87-EXPERT Mainboard with a Intel 530 240GB SSD and even with the latest DC32 Firmware the SSD is not recognized in UEFI/BIOS. I loaded the defaults several times but it didn't help anyway.

I already tried two different Intel 530 240GB SSDs, but both didn't work. I only hat success once - right after i updated the BIOS to the latest Version the SSD showed up, but i couldn't remember which Firmware it had then. Maybe it was DC12 (Stock Firmware Image).

I'd be glad if you can help me asap, because my newly built Chrismas-Computer isn't working.

Thanks in advance.

mike