cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

PPetr6
New Contributor II

Problem solved with new firmware.

GG_1
New Contributor II

After couple days of testing i could state that with DC32 firmware did not fix all issues.

it still shows "prohibited" sign at startup for a few seconds sometimes, which, i guess, means "waiting for boot device". After that it boots more than a minute. Macbook periodically stalls for 5-10 seconds, not so often as with DC12 firmware, but these hangs are very annoying.

I did all suggested tasks - reset NVRAM/SMC, run extended Apple hardware test with no errors shown. There are no suspicious records in the system log. Is there anything we can do to help you pin down remaining issues?

Macbook 8,1 (13-inch mbp late 2011) with INTEL SSDSC2BW240A4

NBest
New Contributor

I bought a new 530 SSD and had the symptoms described by everyone here on a late 2011 MacBook Pro (8,3). But when I checked the firmware revision, I found that it was already DC32! There is no newer firmware for me to upgrade to!

JJone221
New Contributor

I also just bought a 530 SSD from a Black Friday deal....my 2014 Dell laptop has an extremely hard time recognizing this drive...I tried EVERYTHING....hours wasted on this...I thought maybe the laptop is the problem...no way...definitely this drive...and after reading all of these posts, this is an obvious issue...so are retailers like Newegg blowing this drive out in hopes that this problem only occurs for a few people?? I really need to move on and get rid of this drive...I have other Intel drives that have worked 100% , but this seems like a real dud...would love to know if there's any last resort to try before i give up totally on this...The drive definitely has the latest firmware....checked all that! HELP!

NBest
New Contributor

Turns out mine was just slowly failing.