cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can enterprise drives be used for Linux via USB?

ppara5
Contributor

I tried to use a 730, the first cousin of the S3500 DC, for Linux Mint in an external USB 3.0 enclosure. I tried two different enclosures which work for Linux with other SSDs, but after a successful installation and subsequent boot, I always received error messages suggesting that there was no OS on the 730. I've done all this many times with other SSDs, so this isn't cockpit error. I was able to install and boot Linux Mint with the 730 installed internally via SATA, but swapping internal laptop drives is a PITA. Is there any reason why a 730 or an enterprise drive wouldn't work for this purpose? If someone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I spoke too soon. Whether used with a single or y-cord, I see an error message "attempt to read/write outside of disk hd0" (a GRUB error, I think), though it eventually boots into Linux. Some surfing suggests that there is an incompatibility between the BIOS and the 730. So Intel support is correct after all, it's the fault of the laptop vendor, in this case, HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello, ppara5, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 730 Series. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can review and provide us with the following information: •Please note: Unknown issues can appear when an Intel® SSD is connected externally through an adapter or enclosure. Also, some backplanes or adapters may cause the Intel® SSD to not be recognized in the BIOS properly. •As you mentioned “I was able to install and boot Linux Mint with the 730 installed internally via SATA” that means that the SSD is working as expected if you connect it directly to your PC without using a USB adapter and the issue could be related to your BIOS configuration or to your USB enclosure that is not able to detect the bootable OS in your SSD. • We advise you to open a ticket in parallel with your laptop OEM (original equipment manufacturer)in order to get instructions and documentation related to your PC. We advise you to request additional information on how to configure your BIOS and the recommended setting to boot from the USB port. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

ppara5
Contributor

I realize you must speak in generalities, but in this case I have proof that the 730 is the problem. The SSDs I use in external enclosures with Linux are Samsung 830, Crucial M4, and Intel 330. The Crucial uses the same NAND as Intel SSDs of that generation, given that Micron and Intel had a partnership in the IMFT, not to mention the Intel 330.

As for the OEM, HP in this case, the laptop is out-of-warranty, so HP support won't assist me.

I figured out what the problem was. It is the 730, but not in the way I expected.

I have three external enclosures: Vantec NST-200S3-BK, Vantec NST-266S3-BK, and Inateck FE2002. The first has a y-cord to use when USB power isn't enough. I tried the two Vantecs, but the 730 would not boot. Then I got the bright idea to use the y-cord with the Inateck. Success! The problem is that the Inateck was not tested with a y-cord, so maybe I'll blow it up someday.

The problem is the 730's voracious appetite for power, as it was expressly designed for use via SATA and 12v power. USB 3.0 supplies 900mA and USB 2.0 supplies 500mA. For whatever reason, even when supplied with 1800mA of power the Vantec cannot provide the 730 with sufficient power, while the Inateck can.

I spoke too soon. Whether used with a single or y-cord, I see an error message "attempt to read/write outside of disk hd0" (a GRUB error, I think), though it eventually boots into Linux. Some surfing suggests that there is an incompatibility between the BIOS and the 730. So Intel support is correct after all, it's the fault of the laptop vendor, in this case, HP.