cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1TB 660p drops as low as 15-30mb/s

linuxhippy
New Contributor

Hi,

In the last few weeks I noticed my system feels "stalled" from time to time, when opening the taskmanager I saw my 660p is at 100%  writing about ~30mb/s - even with the system is only lightly loaded (browsing the web, developing with visual studio). so only very little write workload and a lot of idle time. same when running linux, no anti-virus used on windows. Trimming ("Optimize") did not help at all. Clearing the cache with the solidigm utility also didn't help.

To diagnose the issue, I ran crystaldiskmark in sequential mode, and while I see some spikes up to 700mb/s, the drive quickly drops to 100mbs/ then to 30mb/s and after while jumps between 15mb/s and 30mb/s.

SMART data is fine, the drive does not overheat (< 55°C) and has about 20% free space in the middle of the drive (first partition from 0-500GB with 200GB free, second partition from 500GB-1TB completly full). Firmware is latest one 5C.

I did expect the 660p to perform extremly poor in write-intensive tasks, but never thought it would slow down a system mostly used for very light workloads. Any ideas what could be the problem here?
Could it be a problem that the free space is located in the middle of the drive instead of at the end?

cdm.pngcdi.png

1 REPLY 1

SolidigmNebiyu

Dear linuxhippy,

Thank you for reaching out to Solidigm. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your drive. Could you kindly perform the following steps:

Drive Optimization:

1. Confirm the drive is using the optimal connection;
  2. Drives under test should be connected to the system as a secondary (non OS) drive;
  3. Make sure the latest Firmware and driver are installed (we can see your drive is on the latest firmware version)
  4. Run secure erase (Important Note: Always back up data regularly and before proceeding as this process removes all data from the drive.)
    1. Download & install Solidigm™ Storage Tool and select “Secure Erase” if it’s a NVMe Solidigm™ client SSD;
    2. Use some 3rd party tool like HDAT2* & KillDisk* to perform secure erase on a SATA Solidigm™ client SSD;
  5. Run “Performance Booster”

• After having followed the above-mentioned steps, perform the benchmark process using CrystalDiskMark with the following steps:
    1. Choose correct SSD type under “Setting” menu
    2. Choose “Peak Performance” in “Profile” menu
    3. Select the partition/drive needs to be tested
    4. Save the results in a text file. This will show the MB/s and the corresponding IOPS results

If you continue to experience any issues with your drive, please contact us via the following link to create a case and we will reach out to you shortly.  https://support.solidigm.com/en-US/anonymous-createcase/

Kind regards.  
Nebiyu
Solidigm Customer Support 

SolidigmNebiyu_0-1683289471127.png