cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Windows 7 Users Running Toolbox Optimizer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why are Windows 7 users running the toolbox optimizer when the readme file explicitly states that for win7 this is not needed. The only case for running the optimizer toobox for WIN 7 is if you are using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.x driver or any driver that does not support the (TRIM) command:

The readme says page 13:

"If your PC uses Microsoft Window 7 and the standard Microsoft AHCI driver(the DEFAULT setup for nomral configurations without RAID), the Intel SSD Optimizer will work; however, you do not need to use the Intel SSD optimizer because Microsoft Windows 7 implments the ATA Data Set Management Command (TRIM) natively."

47 REPLIES 47

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are using the msahci.sys driver in Windows 7 and not doing RAID, why are you trying to run the optimizer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

??? Nothing I have seen or read suggests that I shouldn't be using TRIM on a single disk. Or are you saying that it looks like I have the wrong driver setup for a single disk?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Read what I wrote again and then ask me a question.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I assume you know running AHCI with msahci.sys default driver means TRIM runs automatically within Windows 7.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK... well since I am running AHCI in bios; with W7 MSAHCI drivers then TRIM should be functioning, right?

It sure would be nice however if some of this was made more obvious to dumb users like me that TRIM is actually activated or when it is actually running (because I can't tell if performance is any better when in fact it is already a tad worse). A TRIM Optimizer that appears to error out with an irrelevant message (my original experience after the firmware upgrade) isn't any help and wastes everyone's time.

But I appreciate yours...