cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Windows 7 Users Running Toolbox Optimizer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why are Windows 7 users running the toolbox optimizer when the readme file explicitly states that for win7 this is not needed. The only case for running the optimizer toobox for WIN 7 is if you are using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.x driver or any driver that does not support the (TRIM) command:

The readme says page 13:

"If your PC uses Microsoft Window 7 and the standard Microsoft AHCI driver(the DEFAULT setup for nomral configurations without RAID), the Intel SSD Optimizer will work; however, you do not need to use the Intel SSD optimizer because Microsoft Windows 7 implments the ATA Data Set Management Command (TRIM) natively."

47 REPLIES 47

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

dbm:

I followed the instructions you posted and I have exactly what you say, everything looks ok:

->"Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"

-> "ATA Channel 0"

-> "Intel SSD........ ATA Device"

ICH8-R is the only controler in my pc, I've disabled the other JMICRON controler just to be sure.

Thanks for your post, now I know that "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" is the correct driver/controler name for the standard MS AHCI driver.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your very informative guide and I have set up my system exactly the way you stated. I have taken a benchmark reading and will compare it 2 weeks later to see if TRIM is doing its job. Thanks again!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just to make sure that intel optimizer is not running in the background, goto:

Intel SSD Toolbox -> Intel SSD Managemente tools -> Schedule -> if there are jobs here remove them

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have disabled the Intel optimizer from running in the back ground. And YES!!! My auto TRIM is working now!!! So excited! I did some benchmark runs these couple of days and the performance figures stay high and consistant. Without trim previously, my ssd would just slacken even with 2 days of using.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I did a benchmark test again today and confirm that trim is indeed running in my system with the correct msahci driver. Performance figures are like when I first bought it. I am convinced that trim works after reading so many conflicting reports.