cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Windows 7 Users Running Toolbox Optimizer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why are Windows 7 users running the toolbox optimizer when the readme file explicitly states that for win7 this is not needed. The only case for running the optimizer toobox for WIN 7 is if you are using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.x driver or any driver that does not support the (TRIM) command:

The readme says page 13:

"If your PC uses Microsoft Window 7 and the standard Microsoft AHCI driver(the DEFAULT setup for nomral configurations without RAID), the Intel SSD Optimizer will work; however, you do not need to use the Intel SSD optimizer because Microsoft Windows 7 implments the ATA Data Set Management Command (TRIM) natively."

47 REPLIES 47

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Could you check if my ssd is runs with trim ? I have installed win7 x64 with default drivers & in ahci mode but I can't see Standard AHCI Controller 1.0 ?

Is everything ok ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi nonamed,

Can't tell. Right-click on the Intel ICH10 Port Sata AHCI Controller and select properties, then driver details and see what it says. Mine has msahci.sys which is Microsoft's drivers. If you don't have this, then you need to schedule the Optimizer to run daily or weekly.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Now ? I guess it's fine:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You are good to go! TRIM is automatically being sent to your SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have been following this thread to see if I could confirm the same (TRIM running on a single 80Gig drive). Updated my firmware, installed latest version of Optimizer (on W7) machine with NO RAID disks, yet when I invoke Optimizer I get a message that it can't run on a RAID config (which again, I don't have). Below is a screenshot of my AHCI driver details. I see MSAHCI but what I notice also (compared to other person you helped) is that my Standard Driver date is 6.21.2006 and not named the same way. My SSD is currently plugged into SATA 1 (as I do not see a Port 0). Can you help?