cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM under XP

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have bought a X25-V and i'm under XP, how to activate TRIM ?

what is his advantage ? i know TRIM is used by defaut on Windows7....

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OMGosh, that's terrible! You've spent a lot of time with that mobo, it just might be time to move on. I have an i7 PC and it's been great, although I have three PCs that I consider good, two of those on the old socket 775 Intel CPUs.

I can say this, all three PCs have different manufactures mother boards, and I have yet another 'board not in use currently, but all share one thing in common: the Intel ICH10 or ICH10R I/O Control Hub, a Southbridge chip like your '750. Although "only" supporting the SATA 2 interface, and RAID with the 'R' version, I have three Intel SSDs as OS 'drives on those PCs, and I have not had the slightest problem with them. That is, with Win 7 on two, and Vista on the other.

I also use Intel's RST driver on all of them, which is primarily for RAID, but can be used in AHCI mode and is usually considered the best SATA 2 driver for SSDs. I only use the AHCI mode, and have the Toolbox on all three, all work fine, I guess I'm lucky or doing something right. I have the Marvell SATA 3 chip on one mother board, but I've never used it, I don't see any point and frankly that chip worries me. The Intel chip has been so problem free (short of running warm, but that is it's nature, it's maximum temp rating is higher than most CPUs) I decided not to push my luck. I guess I'll need to try it now with the new Marvell SATA 3 driver with TRIM (oh yeah, that's why I didn't use it....)

If you check that article about the performance of the Marvell SATA 3 chip, you'll see that AMD's SATA 3 chip does very well too, both are faster than the Intel ICH10 SATA 2 chip with SSDs doing sequential reads/writes. But look at the performance of the ICH10 on the different mobo's, it's virtually identical. That consistency is a good thing IMO.

The new Intel CPUs have chipsets with SATA 3 support, and I'm curious to see they perform. Some people swear by AMD, but in my experience the Intel chipsets and CPUs have not given me any grief whatsoever, and that is worth more than we realize.