cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25M G2: Secure Erase before new OS installation recommended?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi!

I want to install my used X25M G2 in a W7 notebook. The SSD was used in a XP machine before with weekly TRIM schedule (Host Writes = 2,5 TB).

In the past I read a lot about things to perform a Secure Erase (e.g. with Intel Toolbox) to gain full performance back. But I'm not sure if this is just a rumor or myth. What do you recommend? What are your experiences? Or is it enough to quick format the drive and forget about it?

Thanks in advance!

SD

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is true that best way to restore a SSD to its fresh state is with a secure erase. There are real technical reasons why that is true.

In that SSDs case, having been used on a XP system, and with the amount of usage it has, a secure erase is the best thing to do. That can be done with the SSD Toolbox in Windows, although you most likely will need to power cycle the SSD to clear the security freeze lock before the SE will run. You'll need access to the SSD, and you quickly remove and replace the power connection. In some cases after that is done, you must run a Rescan of the systems drives in Disk Management.

Otherwise, if you can put that SSD in a Windows 7 PC, you could run the SSD Optimizer in the Toolbox, and then do a quick format, which will TRIM the used space. That will likely be a good cleanup, but not equal to a SE.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks. I've already connect it to a SATA port on my W7 machine, run SSD optimizing button and quick formatted it.

But due to your post I will try Secure Erase. Is it necessary for SE to have a partition or is it also working with a no partitioned SSD?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

need to delete the partition before performing secure erase, You might want to check the user guide for SSD toolbox in Intel site