cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim on restored disk images.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If I restore a disk image to an SSD boot drive, will trim recognize the fairly massive rewrite?

Since the restore is done outside windows will the trim process identify the prior locations as usable?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My understanding is that if you are installing Win 7 with MSAHCI or Intel drivers TRIM will work if you run a quick format before Window's is installed. You could do the same thing when installing an image.

I don't think it is advisable to run a full format, but clarity on that from Intel would be helpful.

Clarity on the benefits between preparing a drive in a previously used state with a secure erase or TRIM operation would also be helpful.

That is the key to your question. It's not so much about installing the image with TRIM functionality it's about prepping the drive first if it is in a used state, so you start from fresh.

The safe way to be 100% sure is to run a secure erase on the drive and then install the image. When you secure erase the drive is set back to factory fresh condition.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My understanding is that if you are installing Win 7 with MSAHCI or Intel drivers TRIM will work if you run a quick format before Window's is installed. You could do the same thing when installing an image.

I don't think it is advisable to run a full format, but clarity on that from Intel would be helpful.

Clarity on the benefits between preparing a drive in a previously used state with a secure erase or TRIM operation would also be helpful.

That is the key to your question. It's not so much about installing the image with TRIM functionality it's about prepping the drive first if it is in a used state, so you start from fresh.

The safe way to be 100% sure is to run a secure erase on the drive and then install the image. When you secure erase the drive is set back to factory fresh condition.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

On top of what redux said,

Don't do a sector by sector image/restore.

A sector by sector image would copy all blocks on the drive (wheter used or not) and restore them in the same manner.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks redux you have answered not only my original question, but what I was going to ask next. Appreciate your response.

SSDaddict thanks for the additional information, will keep it in mind.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is an interesting question what a full format of a SSD actually does, given that the format command was designed for a standard mechanical HDD.

Perhaps more specifically, what will the reaction of the SSD's firmware Garbage Collection be to a full format?

The more I consider this, the more questions I have, I better start a thread on this...