cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The intel toolbox can't run optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a x25-v ssd and installed it with win7. I have installed the toolbox but it can't run optimizer. Does anybody know it?

66 REPLIES 66

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, it was definitely not SP1, happened before that install. Since I did a clean install of Win 7 on the disk, I had all kinds of MS and other updates flying around for a while. I can't honestly say what caused the driver to be replaced. But, I just tried the optimizer again and all is well. I think I, and other desktop users like me, just need to be aware that this can happen, and is easily fixed if they know about the possibility of the driver replacement by who knows what.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had the same problem with my 120G2 when I switch out my i7-950 to an Asrock x58xtreem6 board and installed all my drives on the marvel 6 gig. (AHCI) At first Optimizer worked fine and than all of a sudden within 5 hours it stopped. Toolbox said it was not supported and it need a firmware update. Well, it has the latest firmware. After some checking, I found all my drives, including the SSD listed as scsi in device manager. After changing all the drives to the intel 3 gig ports, at restart windows7 loaded all the drivers for the drives and toolbox works fine now. No more scsi.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep, same situation I had.

NOTICE: I have gotten several Microsoft Updates for newer NVIDIA disk controller drivers, which I now mark as invisible. Otherwise, loading them will bring back this problem! A pesky situation.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Stunt, Welcome to the flaky Marvell interface club, from what I've read on various forums, that chip causes more grief for users than anything else I can think of. Your symptoms are typical, it works fine for a while and then just stops. Then there are the people that set up RAID arrays with it, and you can imagine what happens next. The fact that this interface is seen as SCSI by Windows is not necessarily a bad thing, but I am not sure if that is really correct, or what the other implications of that are. A big problem with the Marvell interface is the lack of documentation for it, Marvell provides next to nothing and apparently expects the mother board manufactures to provide all the support. Still, many mother board manufactures still use it despite the headaches it must give their support staff, as well as causing their products to look bad, IMO. Regardless, I can't help but think that there is something we are missing when using this interface, and I don't know what that is.

Regarding the Toolbox error message, as you discovered, the error message had nothing to do with the reality of the situation. The problem is, error checking is done in the software of course, and that code is not all-knowing and aware of everything (HAL, enable the SATA ports HAL... HAL! I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that, you don't have the correct firmware...) so it's possible that the default or final error message in the code when the error condition is not recognized is the one you are receiving. Unfortunately some people interpret that message as reality, and start on a firmware quest, whereas you were smart enough to know better.

Believe me, you are not suffering any performance loss by using the Intel SATA interface, it will allow your SSD to operate at the absolute real-world limit of the SATA 3Gb/s interface. For the absolute best performance with the Intel SATA interface, if your ASRock board has the Intel ICH10R chip, you can install the Intel IRST driver (their RAID driver) for that chip, and set your SATA mode to AHCI or RAID in the BIOS. I tested my Intel 80GB G2 SSD with AS SSD Benchmark on the Intel ICH10R and the Marvell 9128 chip's SATA 6Gb/s interface, and the score was better by about 10% on the Intel interface. It's also possible to install the MS Windows 7 msahci driver on the Marvell chipset. I haven't done this myself, and you would lose the RAID capability on the Marvell 9128 chip (the Marvell 9120 chip does not support RAID) but using the MS driver might help with the Marvell's flaky behavior.

I've been using the Intel P67 chipset on a new board I have, and it's SATA 6Gb/s interface has worked flawlessly for me. In testing with AS SSD Benchmark, I got the best score I've ever seen with any of my Intel 80GB G2 SSDs, albeit by a small amount. It's not magic, but I think I am at the limits of what those SSDs can do in a non-RAID configuration with the P67 chip and the Intel IRST driver.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Guys, intel just published a new version Intel SSD Toolbox - v2.0.2.000. You could try it.

My old mainboard has crashed so that I replaced a new one (P45) . Now I can optimize the SSD with the new version.

Hope you all can solve it.