cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The intel toolbox can't run optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a x25-v ssd and installed it with win7. I have installed the toolbox but it can't run optimizer. Does anybody know it?

66 REPLIES 66

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After the driver update, the toolbox is working like a champ! Do you think it is lying to me re the optimization it says it's doing?

Anyway, the drive itself is working wonderfully.

So you were able to install the microsoft driver , thats good , in your tool box are any of the drives greyed out, Normally the SSD will be the only drive thats not greyed out , Have you tring to run the optimizer??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good you asked me! I started the toolbox just now, and, lo, it would not work at all again!!!

I thought about what had happened recently, and realized that this morning, the first Windows 7 Service Pack was installed. Sure enough, my driver had reverted to the NVIDIA driver. I reinstalled the Microsoft ACHI driver and I'm back in business.

I ran the SSD Toolbox optimizer with no problems, said I passed. The other 2 drives are NOT grayed out and show the appropriate view functions.

It looks like Microsoft Update is not liking their own drivers and replacing them without any warning to the end user.

Let me know if I can test anything specific to the SSD for you.

Thanks again.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

loe, You scared me about the replaced driver, as I just installed Win 7 SP1. But my Intel iaStor driver was not replaced.

Did you happen to download any other Windows Updates? I have seen old drivers for various chipsets in my PC on the Optional Updates lists, always older than what I had installed. I chose not to install them of course, but you might have accidentally. But it is possible that it happened during the SP1 update.

So people, be on the lookout for that, thanks loe!

Also, FYI, I ran a Windows Disk Cleanup after the SP1 installation, and noticed there were 920MB (yes MegaBytes!) of "Service Pack Backup Files", and 631MB of temporary files. So just over 1.5GB of stuff left over, perhaps some of it useful if you were to roll-back SP1.

Leftovers of that size may be significant to some users, I sure don't want that around, so check for yourselves and free up some space.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No loe, I kinda doubt it's lying to you, at some point we must believe what it tells us (now you have me thinking about that... you gotta stop that man!!)

Also, thanks for your hardware info, as we now know it is possible to have the Intel Toolbox run on an AMD CPU based mother board with a NVIDIA chipset and the MS AHCI driver, in Windows 7. Wow, how much more can we ask for?!

Now that's what I call a mutt-system!