I'm looking for guidance or suggestions to a problem that has me stumped. Last week I built a new system based on the Asus P8Z68-V with Intel 311 SSD for Smart Response Technology (SRT) caching. When the SRT is disabled the system is rock-solid stable, and it passes stress tests perfectly. However, shortly after I enable SRT the system begins to intermittently freeze then it becomes 100% non-responsive, which in turn requires a hard-reset. There are no entries in the event log that indicate there was a problem with Windows.
When I first built the system I put both the Intel 311 SSD and accelerated HHD on the two available SATA III ports. About 15 minutes after I first enabled SRT the system began to intermittently freeze, then it completely locked up. After a hard-reset the system would come back up for a few minutes, and then it would freeze again. I did this cycle a few times with the same results, but once I disengaged SRT everything worked normally again. I ran extensive stress tests (Prime95 and Memtest 86+) and found no problems with any components. I then reformatted the HHD, reset the SSD, moved both the SSD and HHD from SATA III ports to SATA II ports, and rebuilt the OS. Once again, about 10-15 minutes after I first engaged SRT the system began to randomly freeze and eventually locked up. Subsequent hard-resets led to similar lockups within minutes. But once I disengage SRT everything works perfectly again. I'm at a loss. I'm looking for additional trouble shooting techniques or guidance as to whether or not to RMA the mobo and/or SSD. Have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated.
System:Asus P8Z68-V (BIOS v. 0501 and Intel RST v. 10.5.0.1027) I5 2500K (no OC)8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (no OC)Western Digital Caviar 1TB WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (accelerated HHD)Intel 311 20GB SSD (cache)Two Samsung 500GB Spinpoint HHDs in RAID 1 (media files w/ backup)EVGA GTX 570Corsair 850W PSOS Windows 7 x64 SP1 w/ all updates
I'm hoping someone has some info to provide on this issue. I'm having the same problem, though it takes a few hours for the issue to pop up. I have an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and an OCZ vertex 2 SSD. Both a regular HD and the SSD work great on their own, but once I accelerate with SRT, the system gets unstable after a period of time, just like you said.
Since you are saying the issue isn't occurring until you enable Acceleration, you could try upgrading the RST version to 10.6, which is available online:
Worth a try