cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status of my SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
Hello,

I have a macbook pro 17 "(MacBookPro5, 2), recently bought a SSD from Intel, specifically the Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD. What I would like to know is this, how do I check the status of my SSD ? for when the Toolbox software for Intel Mac OS?

Sorry for my English.

Thanks, Pedro Gonçalves
2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OS X comes with Disk Utility which should allow you to view the SMART values.

The SSD Toolbox currently does not supporty OS X.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There is absolutely no guarantee that said OS X utility knows how to properly decode, or properly label, the SMART attributes used by the OP's SSD, however. Most software at this point in time does not properly do this with SSDs (particularly Intel). smartmontools is one of the few utilities which does, however it lacks support for the latest 320 series. https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/ticket/168 I'm working on fixing that.

So basically, all the OP is going to see is "a bunch of numbers" with descriptions of each attribute that are almost certainly for an unknown hard disk vendor, or worse, make bad assumptions about what the attributes represent.

The OP should probably use smartmontools 5.40 or 5.41 to get at "the most" accurate data at this point in time. I'm pretty sure there's an OS X port of smartmontools, but no idea how old/recent it is.