cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Latest 02M3 Firmware for X-25-M 80GB

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I get an error from the SSD Optimizer in the Intel SSD Toolbox to update my drive's firmware; the utility will not run. It says I have the old firmware and informs me I need to update (the drive's firmware).

Intel Product Change Notification number 110343-00, dated December 3, 2010, tells me that the current firmware (for this drive) is version 02M3, not the version 02HD as is in the ISO update on the Intel site and is noted at the latest version of the firmware (110902HD88208850.iso).

The Intel SSD Toolbox "View Drive Information" confirms the firmware is version: 2CV102HD.

The disk created from the ISO file also confirms the firmware is version 02HD and will not update the SSD drive.

I need to update the firmware to version 02M3 to allow the SSD Optimizer to run.

I am running XP media Center Edition with all the latest patches and upgrades. No other problems with the drive or OS.

Please help.

Thanks!

38 REPLIES 38

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes redux, I agree with your first paragraph, that is what I am saying in my statement, which is based on the explanation in the Wikipedia article on TRIM and what I've read in the INCITS documents.

My other point is, if you read somewhere, as I have, statements like: "... the TRIM command cleans up deleted files on SSDs...", that is false, the TRIM command does not perform that task, it is the SSD's firmware that does the "garbage collection", upon activation or triggered by the TRIM directive, a more appropriate term IMO. A Data Set Management message or request to the SSD, will have a specific bit set that indicates a TRIM directive, and will also contain file system information regarding the pages and blocks that were freed by deletion (that is, as far as I can tell, the file system information may reside elsewhere and the TRIM directive may only contain a pointer to it), so that the SSD's firmware will perform a garbage collection run on those blocks. The specific details of how many blocks or files can be identified in each TRIM directive is unknown to me.

How the Optimizer in the Intel Toolbox works, if you consider it, is interesting too. I imagine that it collects all the file system information on deleted files (available space) and then feeds that to the garbage collection function to do the work. Then again, who knows?

An interesting puzzle about which others may be wondering, why do these people care?

We may have scared DuckieHo about writing the article, there are actually people out there that will read it and critique it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wasn't the 02M3 firmware supposed to be out on January 3rd?

I'm going to be reinstalling my OS and I was hoping to do it after the firmware upgrade.

Has anyone seen it available anywhere?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If it were out, what would be the primary motivation to change? are you experiencing any problems at the moment with 02HD?

Personally, I'd just reinstall your OS now if there are no problems. You could also introduce problems by upgrading...

Not to assume you are on Windows 7, but if you are, the built in back up imaging tool is brilliant. Reinstall your OS now so you don't have to wait. When 02M3 is publicly available, see what the general feedback is from those who are early adopters. There might be some performance improvements, but there could also (unlikely) be a decrease too, and if that were to happen, you probably wouldn't be too happy if you just upgraded first. If it warrants upgrading, simply create an image to a portable drive, upgrade the SSD, and restore your image.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ozz is absolutely correct.Flashing your expensive SSD with an ISO file is tricky,if not done correctly your drive is useless,so I've heard....