cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Toolbox 1.3 and Windows 7 x64

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all, hope you can help me. I've got an X25-M 160GB SSD running the latest firmware on a machine running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I recently uninstalled version 2.5 of the Intel SSD Toolbox and installed version 1.3 The toolbox will not launch any longer. In task manager it shows the processing started for the barest of moments then disappearing like it has crashed basically. Now, here's where things get weird. If I launch it in Vista SP2 or XP SP3 compatibility mode, it launches and appears to run fine. Not quite sure what about the native compatibility mode is having an issue. This was not an issue with 1.2

All that being said, I guess the really important question is am I losing any functionality (such as TRIM) by running it in Vista SP2 compatibility mode? The new version of the management tools finish their job in just a few seconds, whereas before they would take an hour or more as I ran them weekly.

If I am losing some functionality, does anyone know where I can download the 1.2 version again? Or know why the toolbox is crashing in native Windows 7 mode?

Thanks in advance for the help. If there's additional information I could provide that would help, just let me know.

Scott

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Oops...should have proofread better. I of course meant I uninstalled version 1.2 of the toolbox to install 1.3.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I run Windows 7 x64 as well and have no issues. Do you run your drive in AHCI mode as opposed to IDE mode? If so, TRIM commands should be taken care of natively by Windows. So long as you run in AHCI, you shouldn't even need to run the toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I believe I am, though would be happy to check. The problem I have is that it's running on a first gen Alienware m17x, and no where in the BIOS is there any options, settings, or display around AHCI. Other than the BIOS, is there another place/way to determine or confirm?

Thanks in advance for the help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Not familiar with that hardware or mobo, check with the manufacturer...but you can try checking device manager, under I think ATI/ATAPI devices and you should see the AHCI device driver in there if the driver is loaded and in use by Windows. If it just shows IDE (probably something like pciide) then you're using IDE mode and will need to use the toolbox to get TRIM commands passed. I think I read someplace that TRIM works under IDE but I was never able to confirm if this is true, I can only say I know for sure it works when in AHCI mode per the Intel documentation.