cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISRT cache suddenly recovering with no windows 7 boot.

MSmit17
New Contributor

Help regarding SSD please.

I bought a Corsair force 3 SSD 60GB last March and i'm using it as a cache with IRST on my Asus p8z68 v-pro /gen 3 mobo (bios updated), well something has happened 3 times since.

First I performed a clean windows 7 32 bits install, and installed the latest intel IRST drivers 10.8 (and now 11.2), then installed a game called SWTOR played for a few weeks everything was fine. then uninstalled the game (20gb size) and after a couple of times using the pc, suddenly voilá, i can't shut down windows 7, had to press the power button off, then on, then a screen appears telling me intel caching is rebuilding itself and finally 0 access to windows 7. Seems IMO like the raid 0 is not working anymore. Im so mad i've never had issues with my pc and my HDD drive so im suspecting 100% about the corsair ssd drive.

Im on the verge of replacing it by the samsung ssd 60GB.However what do you think? i know it is hard to tell but do you think my problem will be solved? i mean i had my suspicions about the corsairs ssd drives even before buying it cause some people complained about the sandforce firmware not being reliable however intel uses the same sandforce drive (modified a little), i know samsung uses itself. What do you think? Should i blame maybe diskeeper 2011?? or the IRST drives? the mobos bios? or the corsair SSD itself?

I have had this issue 3 times since last March all after doing a full clean windows 7 installations, sometimes i updgraded the mobo bios other the ssd firmware currently everything is updated even the ISRT drivers however this issue still happened today again for the third time.

Help please!

Corsair of course is saying their SSDs are not the one to blame.

Is this technology not reliable yet?

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It sounds like what is happening is, the SSD is suddenly not seen or "disappears" from the PC. Since it is a caching drive for the OS, when that happens Windows cannot work correctly, which forced you to restart the PC. The SSD was again not found by the IRST software, so it recovered itself, as you know. What did you do to get your PC working again each time this happened?

It's difficult to say what the issue is, the SSD or IRST. You are correct about the problems your SSD has had. It is also important to use a good cable between the SSD and your mother board. Did you try a new cable?

Another thing you can try is to change your Windows Power Options. Select the High Performance option, and then Change plan settings, and then Advanced settings. In the Hard Disk entry, set Turn off disk after to Never.

I don't know what mother board you have, but if in your BIOS, in the SATA configuration screen, if you have a SATA Link Power Management option, set it to disabled. IMO, the Windows power saving options that work fine with HDDs, do not work well with SSDs, and cause some of the problems SSD users have.

If these things don't work, the Samsung SSD would be a good choice, and so would the Intel, IMO.

MSmit17
New Contributor

well it only has happened three times both after uninstalling software, windows 7 had not closed correctly.

well as far as i know the SSD is always present i think it becomes corrupt.

What did you do to get your PC working again each time this happened? Deacceleration.

I can try what you are telling me but corsair thinks is the ssd itself, so maybe i should buy a samsung...

MSmit17
New Contributor

Well it happened today again.....gonna use a samsung 830 instead in a few days.

i only wanted to mention that since i got my samsung 830 this problem is gone, so the culprit was the Corsair force 3 SSD 60GB.