I've got a 520 arriving today for use as my OS drive and I want to make sure I've got my installation steps correct:
1. In BIOS, set SATA mode to ACHI2. Install Windows 73. Disable superfetch4. Make sure no disk defragmentation scheduled5. Install rapid storage technology driver6. Download and install Intel SSD Toolbox
Does that sound about right? Am I missing any steps or would you do any of the steps in a different order?
What about Secure Erase? Firmware update? AES 256 encryption? Not sure if I need to do anything regarding these. Will the drive be encrypted without me doing anything?
1. Go to BIOS, set boot priority 1. CD-ROM 2. HDD
2. Unplug your old HDD (leave it in your case, so you can re-connect later). Important you disconnect this as Windows 7 might see this drive first. Make a note which SATA port your HDD was was connected too.. best if its a native Intel controller, and its SATA 2 or 3..
3. Replace with your new SSD.
4. Insert Windows 7 CD-ROM
5. Start PC, press DEL to go to BIOS. Set to ACHI (you should see the Intel in the boot priority list number 2 now), Save.
6. Choose Custom Install of Windows 7 - let it do the rest
7. Go to Intel website- Install Tool Box 3.02 - this will sort out all the settings like Superfetch ect...
8. You're good to go.. run the Tool box features like optimizer etc..