cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get migration tool software to recognize my X25-M 120GB drive so it will install?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've got an HP notebook computer (dm3-1030US) and bought a new X25-M 120GB drive to replace the notebook's SATA drive. The product code is SSDSA2MH120G2K5. I've got the SSD plugged into an external SATA drive dock, connected to the notebook via USB. Windows 7 sees the unformatted drive connected via USB. However, when I try to install the Intel data migration software, it reports that it can't find an Intel drive, and refuses to install. How do I get the migration tool to install?

Thanks for any help!

34 REPLIES 34

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Go query the drive, not the dock.

Me, A reasonable idea of course, but the problem is the dock is the middle man, and it gets "in the way". Assuming the Acronis/Intel software is not flawed, something about the dock is not allowing the data the software is looking for to reach it. There are many potential reasons that is happening.

It is also possible that the dock is designed to appear to the device it is connected to as a generic device. Given that you mentioned your PC sees it as a "standard disk drive", that is quite possible. In most cases that will be a good thing, since the PC connected to the dock can then use the standard driver in it's OS. The dock is able to isolate any unusual requirements of the 'drive mounted in it from the PC it is connected to, which in most cases is a good thing. The user will not need to deal with multiple drivers on their PC. This all makes good sense and works fine, accept in the case when the Acronis/Intel software is acting as another middle man on the PC. Regardless of the reason, if that software cannot identify an Intel SSD in the connection, it quits, by design. The user guide for the Acronis/Intel software specifies using a direct SATA connection, but does not mention the potential for failure when other devices are in the chain. Simply adding that might save users some grief.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So my question is this: for those of us who have an enclosure that won't allow Windows 7 to identify the Intel SSD as such, is there a way to manually override settings or perform some other function to allow the identification?

Honestly I agree with the previous posts here...not sure why this needs to be so difficult. I just bought a new enclosure for $40...I would have gladly purchased a different brand if Intel had simply told me which versions were compatible.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

SSDFr, I'm not aware of any way to override settings to allow the ID to occur. I would need to spend some time checking into that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is all locked down very tight.

Will you let us know what your hardware is so we can possibly determine a method of getting this done for you? Would you also have access to any other PC's, and what type would they be?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

SSDF - I'd call the Intel phone support mentioned earlier in this thread and see if they have some secret code or something they can give you. If they get enough calls about this issue, it might prompt them to come up with a more usable software implementation.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

SSDF - dowload this free software and use it instead of Intel "provided" one. It works flawlessly for me (I am typing this on my laptop w/ Intel SSD ).

http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html

Please report back so that other people can use your experience ....