cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get migration tool software to recognize my X25-M 120GB drive so it will install?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've got an HP notebook computer (dm3-1030US) and bought a new X25-M 120GB drive to replace the notebook's SATA drive. The product code is SSDSA2MH120G2K5. I've got the SSD plugged into an external SATA drive dock, connected to the notebook via USB. Windows 7 sees the unformatted drive connected via USB. However, when I try to install the Intel data migration software, it reports that it can't find an Intel drive, and refuses to install. How do I get the migration tool to install?

Thanks for any help!

34 REPLIES 34

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, I checked the Intel Data Migration Software User Guide (IDMSUG), and I found the Startech USB to SATA IDE device that Mondoman is using. The Startech device is a combination cable, powered interface translating device, that allows connection between USB devices and SATA and IDE HDDs, and, er..., SSDs.

The first page of the IDMSUG (don't-cha love acronyms?) contains this statement: "For laptop computers: a USB-to-SATA cable/enclosure", for use in connecting the HDD to the SSD. Otherwise, the Guide specifies the use of a SATA cable. But, we do have the above statement referencing a USB type connection.

To be fair, IMO Intel cannot be held responsible for the function of all the USB to SATA interface devices. While the Startech device is a convenient Jack-Of-All-Trades interface, it apparently (obviously) is either cutting corners somewhere, or ignoring some protocols, perhaps ignorantly, mistakenly, or by design. I have no idea which of these is the case.

While the situation was frustrating to Mondoman, IMO I don't believe Intel can be held responsible for this problem. I think it would be a good idea for Intel to add a few lines of text to the Guide, warning users of this potential problem with some USB to SATA interface devices. Mondoman, quite innocently, followed the directions as they were, and hit a wall. We can thank him for discovering this issue and bringing it to our attention, and performing the workaround solution.

Startech should acknowledge that their device has a potential shortcoming, although ignoring certain data may be seen as a positive feature to some people that are acting in pirate-mode. That was not Mondoman's intent of course, and he experienced a situation where the software was smarter than the interface. Regrettably, in the end it was the user that suffered the most.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well I just bought new Voyager Q dock and guess what - the computer doesn't recognize it as Intel SSD. It says " Manufacturer = (Standard disk drives)". Now I am stuck after wasting $75. I think Intel needs to improve detection method - doesn't seem like current one is working.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had to give up on Intel provided Acronis. I tried free trial directly from Acronis web site and they have removed drive imaging (imagine that :-).

After long search here is freeware that nicely copied over all 3 partitions on my Lenovo X201. It also scaled main C partition to consume the difference (original drive was 250GB/5600 RPM, new 300GB/SSD):

http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html

I used Voyager Q drive dock I already have - it still lists SSD as generic drive but HDClone4 freeware doesn't care.

Also HD clone download is just 22MB, much smaller than Acronis (almost 100MB).

Since this is freeware it doesn't have smart copy (it copies all bits, even the ones that don't really have data) so it took 4 hours. For one time usage that is good enough. Othwerwise you might want to buy standard edition.

Intel moderator (hopefully you are watching this thread .... detection of attached drive shoudl be improved. Obviously Windows is doing poor job and it doesn't work with multiple docks. This is very frustrating and re-occuring problem. As a concerned Intel sharedholder and Intel employee I beg you to do something about this ASAP.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Me (am I talking to myself... I hear you Doc!) Sorry to hear you're having a problem with your Q Dock, which interface are you using, either of the USB, eSATA, or FireWire?

My guess at what is happening here is this: Intel purchased/licensed a special version of the Acronis (an independent company) backup software to provide it free to their SSD customers to simplify the task of moving their OS and files from their old drive to the new Intel SSD. Since Acronis is in the business of selling PC backup software to businesses and PC owners (the basic "True Image Home 2011" software package is $50), they would not be happy if Intel provided their PC backup software that worked with any SSD, HDD, USB device, etc, for free. It would ruin their business, since the word would spread across the Internet quickly and everyone would be downloading it from Intel's web site. So as we can see, very strict and careful device checking was added to the software to insure it would only work with Intel SSDs. I imagine that verification is very specific and proprietary, in order to keep it from being easily hacked, the result of which would be free backup software.

That is why, IMO, some users are having issues with it, such as yourself. If the detection/verification method fails, whether from the lack of data, incorrect data or protocol, or simply a non-Intel device, which is more likely than not, the software will not run. It may be the interface used, or the device itself which is not allowing the verification to succeed. The Acronis/Intel software may be at fault too, but the bottom line is if the verification is not perfect for whatever reason, it won't work. Do I think that Acronis/Intel will loosen up the detection/verification procedure? I highly doubt it, and I understand why.

You may be experiencing a bug in the software, but it is more likely that the interface or the device you are using is not allowing the verification process to complete successfully.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I was using USB interface on my laptop (no esata). Just for kicks I tried the same on my other laptop that does have esata and again windows/acronis did not recognize attached drive. I am sure the problem is with the dock and they way it identifies itself and does not actually identify the drive manufacturer... but seems like mulitple docks have this problem, from other post. So I would suggest to Intel to improve software that identifies the drive manufactuer. Go query the drive, not the dock.

I have no problem with Intel providing free version of the software (that is $50 to buy) and locking it to be used w/ Intel drives only. Makes total sense.

But when this prevents me from upgrading to Intel drive that cost me an arm and a leg (~$450) then I am upset :-).

Big thanks to free cloning code from Miray folks in Germany ---- saved me from spending more money or trying to get yet another dock ...