cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Intel? Information please!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A lot of your customers have bricked drives. They need to know if they should send them back with an RMA now, or if a new firmware update can fix the drive. Others have updated successfully but are now unsure what to do (I want to know I it's safe to upgrade to Win7 from Vista for example).

I guess what happened with the 02HA firmware is about the worst that can happen to a manufacture entering into a new market for them, especially when things went wrong earlier already. I assume that's why you are now taking time to very carefully investigate the matter. But some of us need answers now.

Please give a forecast on when we can expect a fix, or at least re-publish the previous firmware so we can bring our drives back to a safe state!

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All you guys have points well taken, but there is no immaturity of SSD as the problem is not the drive, the problem seems more likely with firmware or Windows 7 with regard to some kind of compatibility issue. Yes, it would be nice for Intel to update us on what is going on, but they probably have nothing to add to what already has been said by them, so they remain silent while investigating.

There are other issues even with people having updated the firmware successfuly. Windows 7 does not recognize my Intel SSD G2 as a SSD, and I believe others have same issue.

Anyway, when Intel finds a solution to their firmware issue, I am sure they will be happy to let us know. Until then, nothing really matters. If you would like them to repeat what they already said, read their statements over again and see if that helps. No, I am not being sarcastic, the point is there is likely nothing further they can add to what already has been said by them.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I partly agree, but IMO Intel have made the problem worse for themselves. They could easily have done the following to help alleviate the problem:

• Issue a f/w update that allows users to downgrade to the old f/w. I'm assuming this would allow bricked drives to work again and maybe it would let people use their drives with confidence if they upgraded successfully to the latest f/w.

• Issue a statement to say under what circumstances they were able to reproduce the problem. This would help people understand if they have a problem directly related to a certain hardware configuration.

• I'm assuming that Intel will take time to check the fix on a number of systems before the fix is released. For all we know a fix has been found and it is currently being tested.

Without any info speculation prevails and as can be seen clearly on this forum animosity creeps in.

All companies have problems. What separates good and bad companies is how they deal with those problems.

Edit:

And a final rant. The excuse from Intel that "since there are so many platforms and various platform hardware and software configurations, it can be difficult to provide the 'correct' answer here" is just pants. No answers are provided, period. Not even for generic questions that are fundamental to being able to use the product with confidence. Those answers don't come from email support either. Intel are acting like a OEM that does not sell directly to customers. For some weird reason they seem to be able to only communicate via Anandtech & PCPerspective