cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Intel? Information please!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A lot of your customers have bricked drives. They need to know if they should send them back with an RMA now, or if a new firmware update can fix the drive. Others have updated successfully but are now unsure what to do (I want to know I it's safe to upgrade to Win7 from Vista for example).

I guess what happened with the 02HA firmware is about the worst that can happen to a manufacture entering into a new market for them, especially when things went wrong earlier already. I assume that's why you are now taking time to very carefully investigate the matter. But some of us need answers now.

Please give a forecast on when we can expect a fix, or at least re-publish the previous firmware so we can bring our drives back to a safe state!

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Like said above, too bad the older version of SSD Toolbox isn't online. Just received my Intel X25-M 160GB, but anxiously waiting for the new firmware fix.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@dbm - Asking people for "maturity" requires that you are mature yourself... And I can't see any sign of it. If things like warranty, good bussiness practice and customer care say nothing to you, you are fine now and you'd be fine even if all your computer equipment is broken. How do you define "immaturity" of the technology, which is sold commercialy? I don't know about a maturity of this technology, but at least I know about maturity of certain people. Please stop insulting other people and if you are so confident a fine with the situation, just keep it quiet. Thank you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

dbm is correct on all counts, as far as I can see. It does not matter that it is a "commercial product", the technology is immature. Intel has done more than most companies to see it advance, because they understand its potential. If you don't understand that you are (supposed to be) helping to work the early issues out, you're not paying attention.

Judging by most peoples reactions on here, I would guess them to be nothing but spoiled consumers with too much money who expect to be waited on. I would also imagine that not a single one of them has ever written a polite email to a developer of a product they use and said "hey, I'm having this problem, can I help you debug it?". No, because these folks don't know how to do anything but consume.

I have every intention of building a top-of-the-line machine for a client of mine the moment this thing blows over. I'll be using the biggest Intel SSD he's willing to pay for and he will understand and accept the risks. If he isn't willing to take the risks, he'll get a system with a conventional hard drive, maybe RAID. That's the choice many people have evidently failed to make out of ignorance, and as usual, their ignorance is everyone else's fault.

Everyone, including dbm, has agreed that it is poor tactics on Intel's part to fail to persistently engage their customers on this. OK, so there have not been press releases or additional updates here, that sucks. I officially join the ranks calling for greater engagement. But dbm is right, people need to get a grip on reality here.

PCoup1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I'm sorry but I'm not having that. Yes the technology is immature, but that should not matter at all. If something was not ready to be 'sold' as a commercial product then it should not have been released. You can't sell something for about £200 which is not fit for use, and then when it breaks expect everyone to turn around and say "hey ho, its new, it's ok".

I believe many people have tried to aid Intel in anyway they can but to be blunt, apart from sending in faulty drives, they do not want our help. There is a thread in this forum called "Intel have a task team, why don't they join us??" - how many people from Intel have posted in that? 0.

We are not R&D people who work for Intel. We are consumers. We buy the products, whch the Intel R&D department develop. I didn't realise you had to have a degree in electronics and know the inner workings of an SSD and TRIM to buy a drive and use it. I wonder if you would use the same comment about a product on a field you knew nothing about, like plumbing maybe.

The irony is that the many threads which have gotten completely out of hand have only happened because of Intels massive lack of user interaction and support. I really hope people from Intel have taken on board whats gone on here the last 2 weeks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Judging by most peoples reactions on here, I would guess them to be nothing but spoiled consumers with too much money who expect to be waited on. I would also imagine that not a single one of them has ever written a polite email to a developer of a product they use and said "hey, I'm having this problem, can I help you debug it?". No, because these folks don't know how to do anything but consume.

I didn't subscribe to beta testing Intel SSD products... That's the main point. The others are in my previous post and I am not going to argue again and again - everyone has a right for his own point of view, without judging others. You know nothing of people here (neither do I), but as for me, I have been (and I still am) involved in beta testing of several products (and I am NOT paid for that), but I DID actually agree to take part in beta (even early alpha) testing. However, I bought X25 not as a beta product (which I'd be glad to test, if there is a free sample available), but as a full retail product. Would you be willing to pay full price of Win7 beta (not the free download) and "help MS to debug"? Really? And as for personal insults - no, I am not "spoiled consumer with lot of money", in fact buying this SSD was not easy for me.

Shit happens, every grown-up know that's a fact. But it takes a little more to face it in a professional manner. I really did expect something completely different from a company like Intel. Try going thrugh the forums once more and you'll see that most people are frustrated far more by the (lack of) response from Intel, than by the malfunctioning SSD itself. But this is getting off topic, so that's all from me on this subject.