cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Intel? Information please!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A lot of your customers have bricked drives. They need to know if they should send them back with an RMA now, or if a new firmware update can fix the drive. Others have updated successfully but are now unsure what to do (I want to know I it's safe to upgrade to Win7 from Vista for example).

I guess what happened with the 02HA firmware is about the worst that can happen to a manufacture entering into a new market for them, especially when things went wrong earlier already. I assume that's why you are now taking time to very carefully investigate the matter. But some of us need answers now.

Please give a forecast on when we can expect a fix, or at least re-publish the previous firmware so we can bring our drives back to a safe state!

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is a general response. What I see here is a bunch of whiners. Everybody knew when you purchased the SSD that it is immature technology. That is plain and simple. You folks who complain don't understand computer technology, therefore you think it is easy to fix. Not only that you don't understand TRIM because if you did, you would know that the implementation MUST be cognizant of the file system structure(ie. Win, HFS, ext3, ext4, etc) There is NO STANDARDIZED implementation of TRIM. I feel sorry for those with bricked drives, but that was/is the risk you take when you upgrade firmware and on top of that upgrade to something that is still in its infancy which TRIM is.

Now, for those that think OCZ is great or is better, just go to their forum and look at their issues. The proliferation of models, some with Garbage Collection and TRIM which are both incompatible. Look at the various scripts that are used to implement what TRIM is supposed to do. There are only 2 vendors that seem to stand heads and heels of others at this time and that is OCZ and Intel. Now, Intel can take a lesson from OCZ where the folks over there engage their customer base and offer help, suggestions, etc.

I've got 3 SSD, two first gen and 1 second gen and i have installed in both mac and hp machines, running OSX, Ubunut, Windows Vista x64, and other various versions of Linux and I have had no problems whatsoever. You want to know why? I know exactly what i'm doing and i know where the risks are. I'm using OSX daily WITHOUT trim and my Intel 160GB SSD is still performing heads and hills above the 5400 HD that came with my Apple. Has performance degraded? Probably so, but it is still small at this point. My opinion is that SSDs are really made for Linux and OSX. Microsoft continues to proliferate their OS with constant disk activity which requires that you have some type of Garbage collection or TRIM to keep the drive tuned. As i wirte this my OSX operating system shows NO DISK Activity, even though i have Safari running. Try looking at WIN 7 and see if you ever can obtain that.

Should we bow now?

This thread is not about all of the great things you have done. It is about why Intel has not, and will not, provide any worthwhile information to a lot of people, who spent a lot of money, on Intel products.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is really getting ridiculous now. Almost two weeks have passed since problems first started to appear.

And even after two weeks not a single word from Intel on

- what happened (will lost data be available again with a the next firmware?)

- why it happened (will customers be safe for whom it currently works?)

- when it will be fixed (when can I use the brand new SSD sitting on my shelf?)

VERY disappointing Intel !

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That message was posted 7 days ago...anything new?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is the situation that bad, that you (Intel) don't know anything?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

what is worse is I think nobody from Intel is listening to this thread.