cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Intel's new RST AHCI/RAID drivers support TRIM?

DZand
Contributor III

Win7 users with an Intel chipset mainboard and Intel X25-M 2G SSD's, who successfully have flashed the actually withdrawn Postville SSD Firmware, want to take advantage of the TRIM command support, but there still are some restrictions:

1. Intel's Matrix Storage Manager drivers (last official v8.9.0.1023) do not support the TRIM command. The only available SATA drivers, which do fully support the TRIM command, are the Win7 generic MS IDE/AHCI drivers.

2. SSD's running in "RAID Mode" neither do support the TRIM command nor can be "cleaned" by Intel's new SSD Toolbox.

So here is my question:

Do or will the upcoming Intel AHCI/RAID drivers of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (RST) support the TRIM command?

I ask this, because I am already running the brandnew and WHQL certified RST driver v9.5.0.1037 (available at Station-drivers since 13th October) with my 2x160 GB Intel Postville SSD RAID0 system and got a really amazing performance boost.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

My system:

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (P45 with Intel ICH10R Southbridge)

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (no OC)

HDD's: 2x160 GB Intel X25-M G2 as RAID0

RAM: 4x2 GB J.Skill PC2-8500

114 REPLIES 114

DZand
Contributor III

@ Arcticus:

Maybe I was wrong telling you, that the generic MS AHCI driver will manage your SSD, but even if the SSD should use the same driver as your RAID, it will be no problem for you, because Intel's storage driver named IASTOR.SYS does support both RAID and AHCI.This will allow you to run the Opimizer of the SSD Toolbox.

The Optimizer works unless the SSD is within a RAID itself.

DZand
Contributor III

bandrews schrieb:

What is the difference between the RST and the MSM?

The Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology is the new generation of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers with a totally new AHCI/RAID Control Panel. The first IRST drivers and software are v9.5.0.1037 and got the WHQL certification at 10/09/2009. They are optimized for being used with SSD's under Windows 7.

You can get these drivers here: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm

I use them since several weeks and got an enormeous performance boost.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So to be clear... when i installed originally using just the windows 7 supplied drivers and the BIOS set to RAID, i was getting the TRIM issued by Windows?

And now that i installed the MSM... i am not?

DZand
Contributor III

bandrews schrieb:

So to be clear... when i installed originally using just the windows 7 supplied drivers and the BIOS set to RAID, i was getting the TRIM issued by Windows?

And now that i installed the MSM... i am not?

It makes no difference, if you are using the Win7 in-box RAID driver or the additionally installed Intel MSM driver.

The only currently available storage drivers, which do support Trim automaticly, are the generic MS IDE driver named PCIIDE.SYS and the generic MS AHCI driver named MSAHCI.SYS. None of them will support any RAID array.

Examples: Intel RAID systems are supported by the in-box Intel RAID driver named IASTORV.SYS, NVIDIA nForce RAID systems by the in-box RAID driver named NVRAID.SYS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am not running my SSD as a RAID. I have it set to RAID in the BIOS to support my other 2 harddrives. Does this make a difference?