cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cluster size other that 4KB on Intel SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:16.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Most program and data files are much larger than they were when 4KB became the default value for cluster size.

I would like to know whether there is any inconvenience (other than wasting some space) in having 64KB clusters.

And what performance improvements could I expect while loading today's programs and data files.

The information found on the Internet is rather conflicting.

But Intel certainly has solid measured results.

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

Almost two years later, I finally was able to satisfy my curiosity.

I got a new laptop, with to different SSDs installed (not Intel though).

On five identical size partitions, except for the cluster sizes 4KB, 8KB, 16KB, 32KB and 64KB respectively, I ran CrystalDiskMark Seq and 512K random performance tests.

Result:

All indicated performance figures were within 1.5%, a difference which I consider to be smaller than the measurement accuracy.

And no trend in one way or another!

Conclusion: I formatted all my partitions with 4KB cluster sizes.