cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else had a repeat 8mb brick on 320 ssd AFTER firmware update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Had my 320 ssd for a month, all going well till a usb device BSOD my win7, rebooted to find my disk at 8mb. Waited for firmware update last wednesday as lots of forum discussion. Did Secure erase and firmware update to v1.9 and restored partition on friday. Today usb BSOD again (visual studio blow up, im a software developer) and rebooted to find the drive again 8mb. Anyone else had this problem, looks to me like the firmware update did not fix this type of issue.

Greg.

86 REPLIES 86

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes. I ran all manner of disk checks before the crash (which showed no problems with the disk itself) and after, which showed it fine. And now I realize the source of my confusion-- for better or worse, HP (who shipped my laptop with this drive) place their recovery partition on this disk, so there is another sizeable partition on that disk (20GB, I think) that should not be there.

When I get my replacement disk, I will partition it properly, since I have recovery media.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For fun, here it is barely a month later and the REPLACEMENT brand new Intel 320 SSD has also 8MB bricked. It had the most current firmware and everything else. How is this not a scandal?

It was easy enough to fix the other one so I could use it until the replacement arrives-- just did a secure erase, but why the eff can't I get more than three or four weeks of life out of a drive?

The punchline was when I called HP tonight to tell them of the second drive failing, the guy on the phone began by suggesting I look into a Solid State Drive because they do not fail.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Frankly, I'm patting myself on the back tonight for having the discipline and/or paranoia to regularly clone my primary. At least I only had to reset to mid-August. I didn't trust this new fangled hard drive anyway! And.... like the rest of you, I got up for coffee today and returned to find an 8mb turd on my desk. It's been in for 9 months. They were blowing them out at BestB for a dollar a gigabyte, so I bit.Bought the 320 Series 80GB for $79.99. Guess you get what you pay for! The real problem is I also put a 120GB in the MBPro. Now I have to worry about that POS drive taking a dump in the middle of a product photo session. I mean.... I already clone it daily, but that could be a couple dozen GBs in raw files too late by 5pm. So here's my plan:

I'm gonna go back to best buy and purchase another Intel SSD. Then, I'll come home and put the 8MB turd in the packaging and take it back. The idiot at the returns desk won't even notice. Then I'm gonna take the 120 out of the Mac and sell both good Intel SSDs to some poor sucker on eBay:) so I can buy a real SSD for the MBP.

Really..... skroo these guys. I'm not gonna waste a second of my time hoping they are going to make this right.

But, I do have them to thank for the Acronis Suite that made the cloning easy. Just remember this my new friends

"There can be a heavy price for the speed of SSD" They don't warn you like an HDD. No noises, no bad blocks, nuttin. Just gone. PLEASE CLONE YOUR DRIVE and then Laugh when it crashes.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have had the same experience as everyone else, thank god i did not pay full retail for the 600GB... I will NEVER buy another intel drive again. The only intel product I will have is the processors due to lack of options/competition. What a joke how crappy customer service for this product is. A full year and a bit later and no fix, no acknowledgment that the problem even still exists just the "replace the drive" until that one fails and go through this all over again. I bought an OCX Vertex 4 512GB, has worked like a dream for months. I highly recommend them over the shit intel drive as several of my friends use them as well. The Intel SSD just sitting in-front of me as a paper weight...

SChau10
New Contributor

One of my 320 Series 600GB SSDs bricked (8MB, CTX_Error) after a secure erase with SSD Toolbox. Out of desperation, I used HDDERASE in DOS and got the SSD restored to normal operation.

YMMV.