cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience with boot times Windows 7 x64 with Intel SSD X25-M G2?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to have some insight about the boot times from windows 7 when Postville 80Gb SSD is used.

I have installed Win 7 x64 on the postville G2 and I am a bit surprised with the boot times I get. From Forums and reviews about Postville SSD, I have read that the boot time would be around 20 sec. I get 50-60 sec from the time I push the on button and the time I get an 'up and running cursor'. Is this normal. Below you will find my crystal disk mark data, which I think are in line with I have read from this community.

I run it in IDE mode and there are very few software installed. I have deactivated auto defrag and indexing, windows search service and swap file. I have successfully installed the 02HD firmware version.

Could you please help me on this,

Thanks a lot

Hypra

29 REPLIES 29

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You can measure boot time but how relevant is it comparing to others with different configurations? To me it is meaningless. Using msconfig to prevent unnecessary programs from loading on startup is the first step. Still, we have different setups on our computers and the only way to make a meaningful comparison is to have identical computer setups.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

WOW! 8 seconds? I am running on the ICH10R southbridge as well with a pair of X25-M's in RAID0, 12GB or DDR3 RAM and an i920 running at 3.8GHz it takes my Win7 64 system about 25 seconds to boot up from the time windows starts - from the moment Windows actually begins to load to when the hour glass goes away (regardless of whether I enable or disable my optional startup items in msconfig). I would love to understand how to boot under 10 seconds. Humm, did you disable all optional services start-up when getting that 8 second Win boot time?

Regards,

Mike

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Try following a few of the steps in post# 2 in my http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1149834&hl= thread, use google translator for the parts needed, and enjoy post# 1 and the highscores and feel free to sign up and post if you have any questions... And no, it's not 8 seconds, it's 7.39 seconds

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is there some trick to run BootTimer on Win 7 64? I downloaded it and ran it, it then said it needed to reboot Win and after reboot - nothing. I ran it again, same thing; there is no doc for it either.

Regards,

Mike

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just make sure it is unblocked, I am using it on Win7 X64... There are a few IMSM that might stop it from working, v8.7 is the fastest booting driver, and the fastest performing driver, and work with boot timer, use it as loong as you don't get TRIM anyway with raid0/G1...