cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use enterprise SSDs to run Linux via USB

ppara5
Contributor

I currently run Linux via USB 3.0 on Intel hardware. All Intel and Crucial consumer SSDs I have tested run Linux fine. However, I have a 730 that complains about no bootable drive being present when I try to boot Linux after installing it. I suspect that enterprise SSDs -- for example, 35xx, 36xx, and 37xx -- and half-breeds -- for example, 710 and 730 -- were not designed for booting via USB and will therefore not work for this purpose. And then there's the problem with Intel enterprise SSDs that they prefer 12v power, which is not supplied in laptops or 2.5" external enclosures. Has anyone here successfully installed and booted Linux via USB on any enterprise SSD? If so, please give the model number of the SSD.

3 REPLIES 3

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, ppara5,

Thank you for contacting Intel® SSD Support.

Please take into consideration that our consumer, pro, and datacenter SSDs are designed to be used connected directly to a motherboard, RAID controller or a server backplane, and the usage of a USB adapter with our SSDs is not a tested or a validated configuration.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Have a nice day.

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, ppara5,

We were reviewing your community post, which is related to your Intel® SSD 730 Series, and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, ppara5,

We have not heard from you since your first post 8 days ago, please; let us know if you need further information related to the Intel® SSD 730 Series.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

A Contingent Worker at Intel®.