cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subpar performance with 4 X25-V SSDs in a raid0. Consistant write speed tests of 40mb/s where as seen others running just two same drives with 140+mb/s.

bberr4
New Contributor

I have an Asus Rampage III Formula motherboard, i7-950, 4 X25-V 40GB SSD in a raid0 and roughly 740 power on counts and 2400 hours total on the 4 drives. Doing a read/write test I usually average a 490-570 read speed and a 40 write speed. Something has to be wrong here. My slave drive is a 750GB WD 7200RPM drive from 4-5 years ago and with 1300 power ons and 3600 hours reads at 90 and writes at 80.

All reads mentioned are sequential. I can put the actual read/write tests later once I get home from work.

How on earth could my HDD be faster than 4 SSD in a raid0? Open to suggestion. I've tried multiple different drivers, seen increases that are minor of +/- 10. They are on the latest firmware per the intel toolbox. No issues found with any drives. All hooked up and running as 3gb/s connections, but no way that should cause this.

They used to write much much much faster without any hardware changes. Computer is only powered on while in use, and powered off when not in use.

Worst case I will just end up ordering new drives at some point soon and go that route, as I wouldn't mind the SSD part be larger and keep more of my games on there instead of on the slave drive.

2 REPLIES 2

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello nosympathy,

The impact in performance you noticed can be caused by different reasons, here are some possibilities based on the information you have provided.

- We have to consider that the Intel® SSD X25-V was released in 2010, as well as your motherboard.

- The configuration of your system does not support TRIM, so the write performance of your SSD's may decrease over time. TRIM is not supported in RAID configurations. For more details about this, you can check the following document:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031846.htm What Are the Advantages of TRIM and How Can I Use It With My SSD?

- You might want to check the health of your Intel® SSDs by reviewing the SMART counters, as it is possible that a failing drive may be causing performance degradation.

- It would be advised to perform a back up of the data, then update the SSD firmware, as well as system BIOS, and RAID adapter driver.

Usehttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® SSD Toolbox to check the status of the drives and update drive firmware.

Hi,

Guess I should have stated that, Motherboard is on the latest bios version, raid adapter driver is the latest, as is the firmware of the SSDs. All SSDs check out as healthy with no issues in the SSD toolbox and a few other programs for comparison.

As for trim, should I really expect to see that dramatic of an effect with the hours/time on the drives? I know they are "old" but they sat powered off for nearly 2 years when I wasn't using the computer. Guess I'd have to ask some people benching really high numbers still with their X-25 series drives in a raid what they have hour wise.

Guess I didn't think about Trim as to me the drives don't really have that many hours. If the lack of Trim issue is that bad(that 2400 is a lot for an SSD raid0, probably will keep me from running SSDs in a raid until that changes I guess.

Unless you have any other suggestions, and I appreciate the ones so far, I'll have to dig into this more and decide what I want to do.