cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD no longer recognized

mirving
New Contributor

Question, I have a 520 series SSD that is no longer being detected by my BIOS; just looking to see if there are additional thoughts on how to get it recognized by my (or any system). I'd list the motherboard and other CPU specs, but honestly I can't remember them off the top of my head and after I explain the problem they will seem less relevant anyway.

The SSD was serving as the OS. After it stopped working I tried basic troubleshooting: different cables, different power source, different ports (I cross checked every option with a working hard drive so I know those parts are good). From here I checked the SSD with 2 separate systems with the same results. First I tried a direct-to-port connection with a sata cable on the first system, and then I tried with a USB connection with the second system (rescanning for drives didn't yield any results).

From what I can tell the SSD is just done and won't recognize anymore. I've been running this as my primary system for the last 8+ years, so it's probably just time. That said I'm hoping that someone with more experience has run into this before because I'd like to recover any lost information. Perhaps there's a software update..? Just since I can't get the SSD to read that seems impossible. Or a firmware update..? I suppose the latter is the most likely. Does anyone have some direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

Sounds like you've tried just about everything that you could. It's a goner. Get a replacement and restore from your backup.

No backup and something crucial on the SSD? Well, you could purchase another of these drives and replace the flash ICs in the good one with the flash ICs from the bad one. This might work. Maybe. On a good day with a good solder technician.

...S

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

Sounds like you've tried just about everything that you could. It's a goner. Get a replacement and restore from your backup.

No backup and something crucial on the SSD? Well, you could purchase another of these drives and replace the flash ICs in the good one with the flash ICs from the bad one. This might work. Maybe. On a good day with a good solder technician.

...S

Sounds about right. No back up.. I ran my OS and main programs off the SSD and I'm 90% positive that I kept most everything else on my larger storage drives. There's still that 10% doubt that is getting at me but at this point I'm not sure there's anything that can be done.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the response/confirmation.

Yes, even though I do copious backups, there is always this worry that there might be files in amongst the Windows files that I will want to have a backup of.

All you can do is setup Windows again and, as you customize the desktop, etc., watch for those files that could be saved to ensure it is easier next time.

...S