cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 540s M.2 SSD Toolbox Reports Diagnostic Error

RKeni
New Contributor

My Intel SSD 540s M.2 hard drive will not pass the "Read Scan" on the diagnostic scan in the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox v3.5.2. The computer has some strange issues going on in the last couple of weeks or so so I started investigating hardware issues. If I open Windows Explorer and type something in the search box the computer may or may not keep functioning. When the system fails (after about a minute) the computer will say that the Intel 540s drive "D" drive is no longer accessible and the system becomes unstable. Now my system is a little different. The machine, an Intel NUC6i7KYK, is built with a smaller 500GB Samsung 950Pro NVMe drive for "C" drive and the Windows installation, and a second SSD, my Intel 540S 1TB drive is "D" drive and the "Users" directory is moved there. The Intel drive has all my data stored on it and the Samsung (high speed drive) runs the system. This configuration was done as windows was installed via a sysprep XML file and Audit mode and has worked perfectly for some time (about 2 years). The Intel drive toolbox showed the firmware for my 540S drive was old (LSBG100), so I used Firmware Update Tool v3.0.1 to update the firmware (LSF042C). The update was successful and the machine seems to work OK but the Toolbox Quick Diagnostic Scan fails the read scan with "Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance." The Data Integrity test passes 100%. I haven't done the full diagnostic test. I don't know if this is a driver issue or not but my drivers were the latest drivers from the Intel support site but I have now switched "Device Installation Settings" from blocking Microsoft from updating drivers to now allowing Microsoft to update the drivers. So I don't know if they've been adjusted through Windows update. This is a scary issue when 900GB of your PC data suddenly fails (I have a backup).

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Qboy61,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot.We've just confirmed attachments are working from our end on Chrome*, Firefox*, Internet Explorer* and Edge*. For documentation purposes, what browser are you using?Best regards,Eugenio F.

BMcFa2
New Contributor

I wanted to share that I have the exact same problem with a 540s 1TB SSD in a desktop. This is my system drive, and my computer will now sometimes crash while using it. It now often crashes while I am away from my PC, and when my machine tries to reset the drive is no longer visible in the system and I find my machine sitting in the UEFI BIOS. When I run a quick diagnostic scan, my Read Scan fails but the Data Integrity completes successfully.

BMcFa2
New Contributor

Adding my exported log from the Solid-State Drive Toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello mcfarlbr,

Thanks for posting.The S.M.A.R.T. details report shows the drive is overall healthy, however there's some degradation on the (E8) Available Reserved Space. This is expected behavior, but might be a failure indication if the value degrades at a fast pace.Please test the following:- Backup your data.- Update the firmware on the SSD. The latest version for Intel SSD 540s Series (1TB) is 042C.- Open a command prompt as administrator and run a chkdsk /f. This will check and repair errors in the drive. You can learn more about this command https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872425.aspx here.- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html Run a secure erase on the drive and reinstall the operating system.NOTE: We provide links to third-party tools and sites for your convenience. We do not necessarily endorse the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for third-party tools.Keep monitoring the drive's S.M.A.R.T. attributes and performance. If the issue persists, please consider https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html contacting your local support for further assistance and warranty options.Best regards,Eugenio F.

BMcFa2
New Contributor

Hi Eugenio,

Sorry I didn't see this message until now. What if I can't backup all of my data? I tried to copy all of my documents to a backup drive, and at 80% complete the drive hung.

Also, I have tried to update the firmware already, however the tool I was using (booting off a USB drive) didn't display any output to my monitor. I am running an add-in graphics card, and my monitor has an aspect ratio of 16x10 with a resolution of 1920x1200. Is this configuration not supported by the firmware update tool?

Also, it will take me quite a while to get around to testing all those steps below.

Thanks,

Brian