cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

I tried the IDE work around, but Windows 7 Pro 64 bit will not boot that way for me.

( I have the Asus G73jh laptop with C: = Intel 160 GB X25-M and 😧 = Intel 180 GB 530 series)

GBoli
New Contributor

I don't think it is just you or those using Intel either, I came across this string when I was searching for the exact same problem with my Samsung 840 Series 250 GB SSD (Model:MZ-7TD250 BW). I am also running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on my SysteMAX laptop. Even if I switched from AHCI to IDE I found that I have to cold boot the machine every time in order for the system to boot from the SSD. Now unlike others here I do not have much flexibility with the AMIBios that is on my machine so hopefully there is a fix.

iadmi7
New Contributor

Same here…. New 530 SSD (180GB) no OS found after installing

on a HP 8470p, 8570w and 8570p…

If the BIOS is set to RAID it boots and runs OK….but

something isn't right (obviously!) and these machines cannot be issued to userswith this issue…

PS... and that was with a number of brand new drives.... all these threads suggest a drive issue......

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Thanks to all of you for the information provided.

To the owners of HP 8560P and HP 8460P:

Would please confirm if the issue occurs by simply going into BIOS and using ctrl-alt-del to reboot?

Please also indicate your specific BIOS version.

I have a Lenovo X220 7587-67U with Intel Pro 1500 180GB and having same issue.

Boots to Windows when cold booting, restarting from BIOS, or Windows, SSD is not Recognized.

I have tried setting to Compatibility Mode, from AHCI and this works, but I get BSOD because running 64bit OS.

This seems like a firmware issue on the SSD, as all other SSD's I have tried work without issue, Samsung's, older Intel's, Corsair's etc,

I am also having same issue when used in a Lenovo T530 2392-ARU and 2392-ASU