cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

Hi,

I would like to join and talk about my issue as the behavior is the opposite.

I have a 80Gb 530 SSD mSATA which i plugged in a Dell Latitude D430 with a IDE zif to mSATA adaptor (the adaptor was replaced so it's not the cause).

Here's the behavior : everytime the laptop cold boot, it doesn't detect the SSD (not seen in the BIOS). If i shut it down and power on again, it's the same. I've got to press CTRL+ALT+DEL after it tells me there is no boot device to reboot and then, the SSD is seen. I can do every reboots i want, the SSD is seen by the laptop. I can even put it in sleep and wake it up, it's working.

Every time the laptop is powered off (hibernate or shut down), the SSD will not show up in the bios after boot until the soft reset with CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Many people put the same adaptor in the Dell D430 and did not encounter this behavior with other SSD brands so I suppose advanced power management features is the cause for me too.

Do you have some workarounds ?

As the laptop was originally designed with a IDE zif interface, I don't have a BIOS setting for AHCI mode or another.

BIOS' laptop is up to date as the SSD's firmware.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello maddave27,

If the computer does not support the features of the Intel® SSD 530 Series, it may not be possible to make it work correctly in your system. It is always advised to check with the computer manufacturer about compatibility with newer 3rd party devices.

In previous posts, you can find details of the actions that solved this issue for some users, which include the following:

- BIOS update and SSD firmware update.

- Set the storage controller from AHCI to IDE mode.

- If using a monitor connected to a DP connector, try using a HDMI, DVi or VGA connection and check if the issue is solved.

As i wrote in my previous post, BIOS is already up to date. The SSD firmware too.

Since the laptop didn't have a SATA port originally, the storage controller is stuck on IDE (that's why I had to use a IDE zif to mSATA adaptor).

I tried with setting up the BIOS in Fast boot mode and Thorough mode but it's not helping

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

In this case you should contact the system manufacturer to check for hard drives supported in your system.

The Intel® SSD 530 was designed to be used in current systems that support its power saving features. A system that does not have native support for mSATA (or standard SATA) is less likely to be compatible with the drive.

You can get it working by booting the FUT (firmware update tool) ISO from a USB drive (use rufus to create the boot USB).

Unplug power to the drive then replug once the FUT has loaded - it will then show in the FUT.

Click shutdown and OK, then start hitting ctrl alt del like crazy so it soft resets instead of shutting down, and your BIOS will pick up the drive and boot.

Given this workaround works (showing the BIOS is capable of recognising the drive when it's in the correct state) it's surprising Intel is burying it's head in the sand over this, I think I might start contacting media outlets about this, Engadget would be keen to report on this I'm sure.