cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

hello Sir,

I have installed 530 Series 240 GB disk in HP Probook 470 G1 with latest BIOS (1.05) . I had issues with cold restart as others in this thread, but I also experienced random 5-10s freezes of the disk - the system didn't respond and disk indicator was constantly on, otherwise the system was responsive and fast. This happened every few minutes. After fw upgrade the freezing problem escelated to every few seconds so the computer is practically unusable. The disk works fine in other machines and this computer works fine with Intel X25-M 120 GB SSD drive.

I installed all apdates, uninstall 3D Driveguard...

Diagnostic test in SSD toolbox passed also.

Please respond!

Thanks and BR

Andrej

I am trying to install Windows 8.1 on a 240 GB 530 in my Asus Zenbook UX302LA. The disk is only recognized by the installer on a cold boot, but when it does see the disk the installer refuses to modify it (no formatting, no deleting of the current partitions). If I run the disk rescan function in the installer the 530 then disappears from the list and only comes back after a cold boot. I updated the drive to the latest firmware (using the bootable Firmware Update Tool in this same computer), and the installer still can't use it. I also tried loading the latest chipset driver for my computer in the Windows installer, and after the driver loads the 530 has disappeared from the list of disks. My BIOS has also been upgraded to the latest version (207).

If I put the drive in an external USB enclosure I can partition and write to it with no problems from my original HDD Windows installation. It is also recognized with no problems by an older laptop I have.

GG_1
New Contributor II

Is there any progress with new firmware?

With new new firmware my macbook starts with third-fourth attempt and it's REALLY annoying

Is there any new information? I sent you requested informations at the end of last year but without response.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I use a 530 SSD as a Windows 8 OS drive, which came with the DC12 firmware, and have not had any restart or boot problems. That is on a ASRock Z87 board with an EFI booting Windows 8 installation.

I have had some minor recognition issues with the 530, but nothing that is any problem. The "System Browser" utility available in the board's UEFI/BIOS, will display all the active drives in the PC. The 530 with the DC12 firmware would not appear in that list of drives. It also was sporadically detected in the main Storage Configuration option in the UEFI. Otherwise the PC booted Windows from the 530 just fine, and the Intel RAID utility option that is supported in my board's UEFI would recognize the 530 fine. The DC32 firmware seems to have fixed the small detection issues I described above.

While I'm glad the 530 owners that had detection issues no longer have that with the DC32 firmware, the fix seems to be an example of what must be done to insure compatibility across widely varying PC systems. That is, the fix for the issue in this thread in firmware DC32, "Default Software Settings Preservation (SSP) for DIPM is changed from a default = on, to a DEFAULT = OFF" is possibly a compromise to accommodate those other systems.

I may be wrong about that, and I understand why this was done, but other users of the 530 may be losing a feature in order to enhance the SSD's compatibility. Just an observation.