cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

I updated firmware but problem with SSD 530 is not solved 😞 Disk is not sometimes detected after wake up from sleep mode. Then omůy way is to turn off computer and turn on again.

MB ASUS P8P67 EVO

Hi. Thank you for the firmware update. After updating the 530series 240GB to firmware DC32 on a HP Zbook 15 on Windows 7 64 Bit Enterprise, the disk is finally being detected after warm reboot.

However the disk response time per task when system is idle is unusually high for an SSD viewed in Resource monitor as observed before and after the FW update. The values detected on different system tasks are svchost (localservicenetworkrestricted) 167ms , svshost (netsvcs) 85ms, system (mft) 80-160ms, repository 166ms.

(1-5 sec random unresponsiveness was previously observerd before the FW update)

This behavior does not seem to be affected during disk usage, like during a benchmark.

JBela3
New Contributor

I created an Intel Communities account specifically because of your post.

I have an Intel SSD 335 240GB which has been great, but I was running out of space and decided to get a another SSD for games. I settled on two Intel SSD 530s 240GB (one to replace the 335, which I'd repurpose, and another for more storage) and installed them over the holidays.

I installed the OS on the first 530, and some games on the second 530. After I fired up some games I immediately noticed intermittent stuttering during disk reads, which manifested itself as lag in games. It wasn't constant, but it was enough to be quite noticeable and annoying. I copied the same games to the first 530 and experienced the same issue. The 335 does NOT have this issue (even after reinstalling the OS).

I fired up SysInternal's PerfMon and verified that some reads were occasionally taking 166-167ms on the 530s. What I found interesting is that it was always 166-167ms when the issue manifested itself, and now I've found someone else reporting the exact same issue and the exact same access times. That can't be a coincidence.

I tried swapping SATA cables, ports, power cables, drivers, etc. I trimmed the drives and verified the alignment was correct. Nothing made a difference. I came to the conclusion that the 530's firmware (DC32) must have an underlying issue.

I bought a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB to replace the Intel 530s and the issue is gone. The highest access times I've seen with the Samsung have been around 15ms, and they are usually less than 1ms.

So... I'm returning the Intel 530s. I really wanted the reliability and QC of Intel's SSDs, but I don't have the patience to wait for this issue to get resolved.

NFeng2
New Contributor

Same problem on 8470p..

At first I thought it was the problem with my new mouse.

System will be stuttering even when I was doing nothing but just moving mouse on the desktop... encounter this several times a day, quite annoying..

HG41
New Contributor

ken-Intel,

The recent Firmware update did the trick... Our ThinkPad X220's are back on track.

Lots of Thanks!