cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

aandr24
New Contributor

I've just purchased Intel SSD 530 (120Gb). I can't install windows 7/8 on this SSD. I have tried to install in both IDE and AHCI.

Windows installation just won't see my drive even though it shows up in the BIOS. I have tried on 2 mobos, a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and a AsRock 970 Extreme3. Both mobos have the latest firmware, the ssd has the latest firmware. Also I have another 2 SSDs that work just fine. I can see the SSD in BIOS, but not in the windows installation.

I can see the SSD in windows, I can copy files on it. It shows that everything is fine in SMART but i just can't install windows on it.

MGuok
New Contributor

Used it on a MacBook Pro 2010.

Reboot - not detected, has to force shut down.

Using it after startup is bad, runs like a 7200 RPM HDD, on my previous OCZ Vertex3 SSD, it takes 2.5" for a heavy weight app like Photoshop CS6 to start up (after reboot)

On the Intel 530, it takes >10s (this is after reboot).

It is extremely slow and it was a big letdown. I've since sold the drive off and replaced it with a Plextor M5 Pro instead. Now my operating speeds are back to normal and to what feels like SSD speed.

Hope Intel resolves this soon.

MHajd1
New Contributor

I guess at this time it is fair to say that many different systems are affected by this bug (not just HP as originally claimed) and there are different side effects of it. Some manage to boot their machines and have only problems when restarting (myself included), others have problems even installing anything on the drive.

I can only hope that Intel comes through on the promise and delivers firmware update on time. I do like the drive, its performance and design, but the firmware needs to be up to standards, as expected from Intel.

Also, given the volume of complaints here and in other places, I fail to believe it has been "thoroughly" tested. Multiple configurations have been reported as affected, so chances are the sample that was used for validation was not really representative

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hi All,

We are still on track to release the updated FW by the end of the month. I will update this thread as soon as it is available in our download center.

Thanks for your patience.

cdodg
New Contributor

I have this issue on my new shuttle PC. It randomly decides to detect the drives (I have two of them).

I sure hope this is fixed by the end of the month before my return policy is up.

Funny thing is I picked these over the Samsung drives because I thought Intel would have the best compatibility but I guess I was wrong. Kind of regretting my decision now.