cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

JAndr12
New Contributor

Hi

Having the same issue here. HP Probook 6460b and a Probook 6570b. The 6570b and ssd disk is brand new.

Tryed lots of different options in bios until I fell over this thread. And it's a 530 series with dc12 firmware.

Both laptops have newest bios revision.

Hope a new firmware is released for the hdd soon!

PRAA
New Contributor

I have the same problem - warm restart on my mac results in no startup disk found.

Macbook pro Mid 2010

Intel 530 240gb with DC12 firmware

I also think this ssd is slow - I am only getting about 200 mbps write and 260 mbps read speed. Very disappointed, as I the reviews online pointed to speeds in the range of 500 mbps.

I tried the installation two ways - one by cloning the system partition using carbon copy cloner, and another using a fresh install from super-drive and updating .. In both cases, speed didn't change.

MHajd1
New Contributor

It seems like a SATA II limitation to me. I have tested 530 SSD on Sata II interface and got very similar speeds. Here is the speed chart for 530 SSD on Sata III interface (drive with OS on it)

For comparison, I am showing Crucial M4 512GB version on the very same interface (also with OS running on it):

They are quite comparable, and clearly Intel is a bit faster in write speeds. I will update later on, showing Intel 520 SD (180GB version) on the same machine.

Marek

ATish
New Contributor

have the same problem - warm restart on my 4540s results in no startup disk found.

HP ProBook 4540s

BIOS version 68IRR Ver.43

BIJS Date 10/07/2013

SSD Intel SSD 530 120Gb

firmware version DC22

XXiao8
New Contributor

Has the same issue here when I put the Intel 530 240gb into my 2010 13inch MacBook Pro. Warm restart doesn't work but cold restart is fine. Another issue is after I successfully boot and log in the system (OS X 10.9), it cannot sleep (usually it will automatically sleep when I close the screen), could this be from the same cause?

Hopefully it will be fixed soon!