cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 startup problems - Bug in SSD?

ajoha7
New Contributor II

I just bought an Intel SSD 530 240GB to replace my Intel SSD510 for my HP Elitebook 8460p.

When i cold-start my computer everything is fine, but when I restart my computer from within a freshly installed windows-7, the drive is not found.

If i turn off the computer and start it again, the drive is found and boots up again as usual. So the drive fails after reset.

I have upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the latest version via the SSD toolbox but still no luck. also updated laptop bios to latest version.

I had no problems in the past with the Intel SSD 510 edition.

Any ideas on what to do?

Clarification:

So, when I insert my Intel 510 SSD and start windows and restart windows it works without problem. But with the Intel 530 it wails when I do restart, the BIOS does not find it after a normal reset. So that must conclude that the Intel SSD 530 has some bug? or is sensitive to some timing issue?

Should I return it? or just assume its incompatible with my laptop?

Message was edited by: andy johansson (added some clarification at the end)

216 REPLIES 216

Hi pgmac,

I can look into testing on a Macbook. Can you be more specific on the model you have? Especially what CPU you have.

PPetr6
New Contributor II

kford-Intel wrote:

I can look into testing on a Macbook. Can you be more specific on the model you have? Especially what CPU you have.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.0-15-early-2011-unibod... Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.0 15" Early 2011 (MC721LL/A)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2635QM

(but I am pretty sure you will be able to recreate the problem on other Macbook Pro's)

See also other related posts, for the issue on Apple machines, in this thread:

/message/206335# 206335 https://communities.intel.com/message/206335# 206335

/message/208876# 208876 https://communities.intel.com/message/208876# 208876

PMast3
New Contributor

Hi - I have a similar issue with my Mac Pro, Mid 2010, C2D 2.4 Ghz, error after I just installed a 240GB 530 series SSD and installed a fresh copy of 10.8 Mountain Lion.

On a warm restart I get a "circle-slash" - verbose mode shows the message "still waiting for root device". A cold boot works just fine.

Help!

The problem does exist on HP 2570p - BIOS F.41 and F.42

This has the Intel QM77 chipset.

It does NOT exist on an Elite 8300 Desktop.The Chipset is Q77

Mayby only mobile chipsets are affected ?

WZach
New Contributor II

On my Thinkpad W530, boot will fail both from a warm boot via an OS restart, or a bios restart.

When the laptop reboots and the boot fails, it goes into a boot selection menu.

The drive is visible, but no matter how many times you try to boot from it, it fails and goes back to the

same selection page.

If you enter the bios on a warm reboot, then exit and continue booting, it will still fail.

The only way it will boot on reset is by using CTRL-ALT-DEL to do a hard reset.