Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 problem after OS Shutdown

TTay
New Contributor

Hi kford-Intel,

My motherboard is ASUS Z87-Pro and the BIOS version is 1504

Intel 530 SSD 240GB SSDSC2BW240A401(Received through RMA by Intel)

Windows 8 Pro 64bit

i7 4770K (stock)

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2133 16GB

After cloning the replacement SSD through the Intel SSD Toolbox, was prompt that I can start using it. On restart the SSD was missing in BIOS and Windows too.

I had to unplug the power cord and also all USB devices and leave it for half an hour and reconnect all the USB devices and power on the PC. At start-up BIOS detected the Intel SSD, double click my "Computer" the Intel SSD was present.

To test if BIOS and Windows would detect my Intel SSD after doing a "restart"; yes it was detected during three "restarts".

To see what happens when I have the PC shutdown for 5 minutes and power on again, this time both, BIOS and Windows could not detect the Intel SSD but my Samsung EVO 120GB where I installed my Windows 8 Pro is always detected by BIOS and Windows.

If I want BIOS and Windows to detect the Intel 530 SSD ( which is still connected in my PC ) ;- waiting for some miracle to happen, I will have to unplug the power cord and everything mentioned earlier, and leave it for 30 minutes then power up the PC and it will be recognized by BIOS and Windows.

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Seems like the Intel SSD couldn't wake up or lock up after PC power off.

BTW I have my motherboard replaced (new same model) and also changed a new Corsair RM650 PSU yet nothing seems to work.

Hope this helps you in your quest for a new firmware to solve all this problem.

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38

Hi Ken,

My monitor is a Dell U3011. If I unplug the displayport cable from the laptop before powering it on, the SSD is recognized. The graphics card is an NVIDIA Geforce GT 555M if that's of any help.

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hi Redot,

If you remove the Quadro card and connect the monitor to the onboard DisplayPort connector, does the behavior change?

Ken

Hi Ken,

When I remove my Display Port cable from the Quadro and connect it to the onboard display port, the system will detect the Intel 530 SSD. I also do not have to switch off the monitor from the main power supply after I shut down the PC. On start up it auto detect the Intel 530 SSD.

Like I said, the Samsung EVO 120 SSD does not have this problem, so this shows that the Intel 530 still need some tweaking, meaning a new firmware update.

JYeap
New Contributor

Hi Ken Intel,

just wanted to highlight the display port problem for my pc ssd too.

Details in the following link.

Thanks!

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hi All,

We have finally had some success in recreating the problem reported here.

This problem appears to be restricted to a few combinations of SSD+Monitor+Graphics Adapter+Displayport Cable.

We could not originally reproduce the issue, but we started trying different cables and finally found some no-name cables that allowed the issue to happen (these cables literally had no-name on the plastic bag they came in).

We have successfully used an SIIG CB-DP0022-S1 cable, a Belkin Premium Series DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (I cannot identify a part number on the packaging for this cable), and an NXG NX-DP-6 cable without issues.

I would encourage a few of you to try one of the cables above or another good quality cable and report back on the results.

One thing we found when comparing a 'good' cable to a 'bad' cable is that the 'good' cables do not have pin 20 wired. Pin 20 is the pin closest to the 45-dgree angle on the connector and is designed to carry power, but it is not supposed to be wired when connecting directly from a PC to a monitor. You might check your existing cable to see if Pin 20 is wired (using an multi-meter).

I found some threads around the internet that point to cables with pin-20 connected causing problems, here is 1 example:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2310603# post36042224 http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2310603# post36042224

I also found this from the DisplayPort.org FAQ page (http://www.displayport.org/faq/ http://www.displayport.org/faq/😞

Q: Why isn't there a wire on pin 20 (POWER) on the standard external DisplayPort cables?

A: The reason power isn't included in standard cables is because both source and sink devices are designed to provide power. Captive, attached cables often include the power wire. If it is desired, for example, that a particular source device utilize the power available from the mating sink device, then that Source device could include an attached or dedicated cable that carries the DisplayPort power signal. Same could be applied to a sink device

-------

All this leads us to be fairly certain that the real culprit here is cables with pin-20 improperly wired.

Hopefully this helps. Let us know if you have any success with different cables.